Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 15:27:43 +0000
From: "Gabe Menezes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Mario has claimed to be an MBA. Therefore I am taken
aback that he had to resort to Google, to try and
fathom out what is really going on w.r.t inflation
gauging in the USA.

Mario asks:

Gabe says he is "taken aback" that I used Google.
Hanh?!  Does this mean I'm supposed to avoid Google to
post reference materials to show that I am not making
up facts in a discussion?  How does this compute as we
MBAs are used to saying among ourselves? :-))

Besides, what does my MBA, which, BTW, is from the
University of Michigan in Ann Arbor for those familiar
with MBAs, have anything to do with the questions I
raised?  I did learn to use recognizable facts, to
connect the dots and to support my facts and opinions
with independent information.  But you really don't
need an MBA for that.  Just common sense.

Gabe Menezes wrote:

Just this hour, Bernanke spoke in depth about trying
to better achieve transparency, regarding inflation
and that the Fed is working on this.

The Fed still hasn't recovered the plot: core vs.
headline inflation again.

Let me quote from the Testimony of Chairman Ben S.
Bernanke, Semiannual Monetary Policy Report to the
Congress, before the Committee on Financial Services,
U.S. House of Representatives July
18, 2007

"Sizable increases in food and energy prices have
boosted overall inflation and eroded real incomes in
recent months--both unwelcome developments.

I believe that the interest rates in the USA, do not
fully reflect the inflation rate; also the Fed is
under sever constraints politically and had to cut
interest rates to accommodate the fall out debacle of
the Sub Prime loans.

Mario asks:

What do the comments summarized above have anything to
do with the information that I questioned in my post
of November 12 that US inflation was 5.1% and that the
US routinely excluded the cost of food and gasoline
when calculating inflation?  See,
http://lists.goanet.org/pipermail/goanet-goanet.org/2007-November/064664.html

Even Mervyn Lobo has now confirmed that the 5.1% he
had mentioned was a rate used by non-US lenders when
making loans to American businesses, which would be a
hurdle rate that is always higher than the inflation
rate by an amount that reflects the lender's perceived
risk in the investment.  BTW, we MBAs learn this stuff
in Finance-101:-))

I also showed that the US Department of Labor, Bureau
of Labor Statistics publishes inflation rates with
food and gasoline included as well as an adjusted rate
that excludes food and gasoline. See box in upper
right hand in,
http://www.bls.gov/cpi/#data

So, Mervyn was not wrong; he was only half right
because he did not seem to be aware of the inflation
rate that included food and gasoline.

Gabe Menezes wrote:

Mario should know this, as his neighbour hood is one
of the worst hit areas in the USA, with run down
buildings and distressed 'Repo sales signs'. An
USD300,000 home is a substantial home, by any measure
in Toledo; the equivalent ?150,000 would at best buy a
studio flat (one bedroom) in London.

Mario responds:

Again, what does the condition of my "neighbor hood"
have to do with the topic under discussion, even if
these gratuitous comments about my "neighbor hood"
were accurate, which they are not???

Besides none of my neighbors are hoods:-))

Getting back to Gabe's comments, how could anyone who
claims to have "acute analytical skills" compare a
mid-sized mid-Western city in one country with a
national capital like London in another country?  An
MBA would never do that.  Wouldn't a more appropriate
comparison use cities like Washington, DC, or New York
City, when making comparisons with London?

BTW, I love London where the beer is warm and they pay
absurd prices to live in quaint, dingy old tenements
with a lot of history behind them.  I mean a LOT of
history:-))

Gabe Menezes wrote:

So much for the cock and bull story, as espoused by
Mario, that the poor in the USA are the equivalent, if
not better off than the middle class European.

Mario responds:

The alleged "cock and bull story" that Gabe is
referring to has not been part of this discussion,
until Gabe has now made it a part.

However, anyone familiar with the US and Europe would
know that many people considered "poor" in America do
enjoy a standard of living that is at least as good as
that of many middle-income Europeans.  Actually, there
is no need to believe me, or anyone who makes
"not-so-acute" analytical comparisons - come see for
yourself.  If you disagree, fine.  You are entitled to
your own opinion.  I am entitled to mine.

My advice to those who read critical comments about
the USA, especially by those who had applied for
residency in the US and been rejected, is to ask
yourself why the US has been for centuries, and
continues to be today, a magnet for immigrants from
around the world.  We have somewhere between 12 and 20
million illegal aliens floating around for God's sake,
determined to be a part of all this.

God knows we're not perfect.  We can be violent and we
can be altruistic.  We have so many guns in private
hands that the safest place is at a gun owner's
convention.  But for those who like freedom, democracy
and free enterprise, rugged individualism, minimal
government and low taxes, and the guts to risk our
lives on behalf of others, you are welcome to join us.
 Or not.

Our motto is "No greater friend.  No worse enemy."
Take it or leave it.

"A communist is someone who reads Marx.  An
anti-communist is someone who understands Marx."  -
paraphrasing Ronald Reagan.