Mr. Edgar Silveira,

Your description makes for a pretty mental picture! I would love to
know some of the Goan folk stories- even scary ghost stories..... as
it would be interesting to continue the tradition u mentioned with the
present and future generation. I for one, would love to start it.....
now all i need are some stories :) Cmon goanetters, bring it on!

Best Regards,
Mish
Thanks Mish and apparently, there exists a book on Goan fairy
tales....I was hoping to collect and illustrate tales (for starters,
like a personal project) but my current style of drawing did not
compliment; ideally, Ralph Steadman'ish stile would suit
(http://www.ralphsteadman.com)....I think Steadman's style would do
justice to Goan life....fun, gay (as in happy) and prone to an
occasional blitz of drunken violence and bloodshed and thoughtless
greed! <---nonono, I did not say that?
Some of my stuff is here but have removed all my illustrations.
http://flickr.com/photos/montrealartist

However, since I have had a couple of responses about dusk time
stories, here is a minor real one and to me as a young sheltered
person, not familiar with the ways of the bad world, was
fascinating...and I will relate it as best I can (my talent is
goal-keeping: I am a current goalkeeper-hopeful for Chelsea FC but my
thick eye glasses and a rounded beer belly are holding them back from
slipping me a contract)!
So in this village in Salcette, dusk usually arrived in lazily....kids
winding up a game of football, the older lot inched towards the tavern
and the crows quietly headed to their nests, someone returning from
working their fields and the toddy tapper Francis made his rounds. And
a few passers by would drop my in my grandmothers balcon for a chat.
On those rare occasion, Shankar, a tenant on one of her properties.
Shankar was a maar, waver of baskets etc and a very skillful one. He
was dark, tall and aging. He always spoke sweetly to me and asked me
about my future...will I be a doctor, an engineer. i was dying to tell
him I wanted to be a goalkeeper, a football goalkeeper.

According to grandmother, Shankar was devious. He only came when he
wanted extra land or wanted to cut coconut palms for his
basket-making.
The arrival of Shankar was an occasion...he would quietly come and sit
on the outermost bench...silently surveying rest of the gathering with
his bright eyes that contrasted with his dark skin. And he would
finally get talking after grandmother would ask after Shankar. "Aw,
baatkanni...", and he would complain about the lack of business and
the weather. Then out of the blue, he related of what he was a few
nights ago...he woke up to 'pass water' he said and saw the devil. Saw
the devil? Yes baatkani., around four in the morning.....the devil had
a fire-light in his hand  'chool'  and was looking for something under
the moosrat mango tree. He was going round and round under the mango
tree....looked like he was looking for something. He even had a tail.
You know this long, he measured with his hand. His fire-light was
bright....it shone but I could not see the face clearly, Shankar said.

My grandmother would hear none of that, being aware of Shankars ways.
But I was interested and wanting to know what happened next. Where did
the Devil come from? What was he looking for? To all of this, the
basket-weaver would widen his eyes and say he was too scared, did his
business and went back into his hut went the devil was behind the
mango tree. I wanted to know more and grandmother would dismiss any
inquiries, She said, the devil was Shankar looking for fallen mangoes
with a chooli. I guess as Catholics, we did not believe in the devil.
I wanted to know if the Devil had a family, where did he live. how big
was his tail? What did they ear? To my disappointment, granny would
bring this to a close with, "there are no devils"!

And for all of my summer and winter holidays with grandmother, any
occasion to visit her property with Shankar were excitement beyond a
Vasco-Dempo-Souza football game. Ofcourse, Shankar was evasive; it did
not serve his purpose to talk to me about devils. And till this day,
one is not sure if the other mundkaan Rosa-Marie's son Cistodio was
out under the Mango tree with a fire-light looking for fallen mangoes
or was it Shankar looking to extend his hut. I was convinced the devil
and the family lived on the edge of the field, next to the baand (the
large field belonged to the church, *wink wink*), where the cacti grew
large and wild, where there were a lot of thorns and no one went to
that part, even if you paid them.
I asked my village friend Praakash.....he said there were devils.
There defiantly were devils. They usually roam at night and you don't
'play' with them; they are not nice.
Don't know what happened to Shankar........his handsome dark face and
the widening bright eyes bring terror in me...and the power of
storytelling, of myth, of fantasy...and no one would be more
convincing than the waver of stories, Shankar. The mangoes from the
moosrat tree were large, the flesh reddish yellow and the sweetness,
even the devil would remember!