What are the odds, "the events" that created the rocks you see sprawling on
Goan beaches, were also responsible for the extinction of the dinosaurs?

Undoubtedly, this is a pretty loaded question.

All along, like many Goans, I assumed that the rocky beaches in Goa, were the
result of millions of years of erosion. Well, that's just part of the story.
After reading alternative theories, I have changed my "assumptions" ...

While most Indians have come across the term Deccan Plateau in geography
classes, not many, however, know much about its history. The so called Deccan
Traps or the vocanic eruptions that created them, occured some 65 million years
ago - about the same time the dinosaurs disappeared.

The only theory that is leading the explanation for the extinction of the
dinosaurs, is the chicxulub crater theory. According to the proponents of this
theory, a huge asteroid slammed into the Earth, at chicxulub in Mexico about 65
million years ago, and that this event wiped out the dinosaurs.

During my routine web crawl a few months ago, I came across a shocking but
convincing altenative theory that the Indian Deccan Traps may have been equally
responsible for the disappearance of the dinosaurs. And then I came across a
web site run by an Australian, that says the rocky beaches found in Goa and
elsewhere on the west coast of India, were the result of the Deccan volcanoes.

If volcanoes created the Deccan Traps, the question becomes, where are the
volcanoes now?

Well, the explanation to that question is that, the then island, which we now
call India, was splitting away from the African continental plate and moving
north towards mainland Asia. As it pushed north, it passed over a Hot Spot in
the Earth's crust, it punched holes into the moving Indian continental plate
above, spewing the volcanic ash. The Hot Spot is now located under the Reunion
Island in the Indian Occean.

Please see the links below:

http://www.volcanolive.com/deccan.html

http://www.livescience.com/animals/071112-dino-volcanoes.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R%C3%A9union_hotspot

Does anybody have anything to add or dis-prove this theory?

Jim F.
New York.

From: Mervyn Lobo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>