REMEMBERING EDGAR MARTINS: DEEP DOWN, A GOOD HEARTED CHAP

By Eddie D'Sa
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

I regret to announce the death of Edgar (Leo) Martins, a
member of this forum for some years.

He was 72 and unmarried.

He died on 17 February this year of cancer of the stomach and
complications but his brother Joe who gave me the news said
he was too distraught to contact me. He was one of six
brothers and the youngest is a married sister who lives in
Dorset. He outlived his parents and three of the brothers.

He had been ailing for sometime and his last post to the
New-Diaspora forum
[http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NewDiaspora] was on Imran
Khan, dated 28 Nov 2007. The last I heard from him by email
was in December from Portugal where he was undergoing
treatment. He had his own flat in Cascais.

Edgar was born in Moshi, Tanzania and studied in Bombay up to
the B.Sc degree. He travelled to Karachi where his aunt
(mother's sister) had married and became quite familiar with
the place. He then returned to Kenya and taught at a Mombasa
school. But he was not one to settle in one place and soon
took off for West Africa - including Gabon, Cameroon and
Ghana. He secured a teaching stint in one of these countries
-- I do not recall which.

Edgar next tried his luck in England but didn't quite take to
the place. He set off for Canada and effectively settled in
Toronto, where he had several relatives, including two
brothers. However, he remained attached to Goa and used to
visit every year in the winter months, spending much time and
effort recovering ancestral property. He also started
re-building an old family home in his village but never
managed to complete it.

In Canada, his health began to deteriorate but he was not one
to complain. He availed of whatever treatment he could there
and then decided to move to Portugal both for the weather and
alternative treatment. He wrote:

"I am stable at the moment and staying at
my beautiful flat situated in Cascais (25
km. West of Lisbon). It does not snow
here and there are bougainvilles, palm
trees and other tropical plants including
bananas. Plenty of exotic fruit all
coming from S. America. Only if my health
was normal. I do not even travel due to
weakness to Lisbon. The Portuguese are a
people who do not approach you
agressively. They are courteous to a
great extent and less racist than the
damned Brits where I hear of muggings,
attacks etc. I have access to the
Guardian and the London Times at the
Library which I frequent when possible."
[email of 26 Nov 07]

In January this year, his sister visited him and persuaded
him to return to England with her for a rest. He agreed and
was brought in a wheel chair in late January. He stayed with
his brother Joe (the youngest) who lives in Hillingdon (west
of London). His condition took a turn for the worst and he
had to be hospitalised. He died on 17th February.

Edgar lived a turbulent life and could be controversial and
forthright in his views, perhaps alienating certain persons
in the process. But deep down he was a good hearted chap. He
wrote well and contributed a good deal to this forum on
assorted subjects -- politics, travel, religion, etc. Now and
then, he posted snippets from his huge collections of jokes,
maxims, anecdotes, cartoons and I think they were well
appreciated.

He leaves behind an older brother, Hilary, in Toronto and a
younger brother and sister in England.

FOOTNOTE: Dr Eddie D'Sa, a statistician, is moderator of the
NewDiaspora mailing list (link above) and was earlier editor
of the print-version (since suspended) of the
thought-provoking Goan Digest magazine published from London.
He lives in the Wimbledon area.