From: "Albert Desouza" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
For so many days I have been reading "what cardinal said ---- what Fr.Ivo said --- and what the readers said.--- Why do you wash the linen on this goanet?
***I do admire the postings of Albert, whom I know personally. It is a good job to write and express one's faith and convictions. But at the same time we have to know that there is a duty to deepen our faith. Discussions can help us. By trying to see what the Cardinal has said is also a useful exercise. When there are misunderstandings, discussion on the text and context will not be an exercise in futility...

Cardinals are there to give speeches which people like me have to read smile and go to sleep because it contains bombastic words and phrases which poor people like me cannot understand.
***Any speech will have difficult words to understand unless we are tuned to that language. When one reads about science, we put up all efforts to learn the scientific language. Our daily papers bring so many words which we may have to look for in the dictionary. A speech on Christian faith will have its peculiar vocabulary. We have to do some homework to understand it. Catechism classes will teach some language. Theology will teach more. No wonder that not everyone can understand every word from the Cardinal's speech, as not everyone can understand all the English words or Konkani words from a speech on science, politics, sociology, psychology, or biblical exegesis.

If they live in a manger among the poor by removing the purple there is christ and if they talk big things they belong to the elite.
***There is a status in the society. All of us have to live according to our vocation. The Cardinal does not have to live "in a manger" by "removing the purple", but he has to work for the human dignity by bringing the poor to the table and alleviating their misery. In history I remember Cardinal Paul-Emile Leger (1904-1991), who served as Archbishop of Montreal from 1950 till 1968, and was elevated to Cardinal in 1953, at age 48, by Pius XII. He gave up the privileges of a Cardinal to work among lepers and handicapped children in Africa. He spent 12 years in the Cameroon. He said: "It will be the great scandal of the history of our century that 500 million people are eating well and living luxuriously and every year millions of children are dying of hunger." When the Cardinal Leger toured African leper colonies and saw misery, he started raising money for the lepers. Five years later, with those sights still seared in his memory, he stunned Canadians by resigning as Archbishop of Montreal to return to Africa and work among the lepers and impoverished children as a missionary. He would say: "In a country like ours where so much money circulates, there are always a few crumbs worth picking up." There is a vocation, and 'a vocation within vocation'. Not every Cardinal will do the same work as Card.Leger or Mother Teresa. You can work in different ways, among the elite and among the poor. 'Why do you wash the linen on Goanet'?

I would request you all to forget about the speech for if we are called atheist or communist it does not change our skin for I feel communism is the best and Jesus was a communist as many great people like me feel for he believed in equality.
***Why should we forget "about the speech"? Is language not important? Is instruction not needed? Why should we be called 'atheists' or 'communists'? Why is 'communism' the 'best'? Does Communism believe in equality? What do you mean by "communism", when you say that "communism is the best"? Do you speak about 'communism' in the early Church? What do you mean when you say that "Jesus was a communist"? Do you speak of the 'communist' ideology? Or that Jesus spoke of God as Father and humanity as 'children of God'? You see, again, the question of understanding is coming up. We are human beings and need language for our communication and human growth. We can deepen this topic privately without a new controversy in the Goanet...
Regards.
Fr.Ivo