Hi Cornel, Ruby, Francis & Percival

It seems that I sure opened a "pandora's box" as I was not aware that
so many goanetters were very well informed about this great Swahili
ballad.

Cornel- like your Taiwanese experience, I was also caught "off-guard" when
I attended a gig in New York city. From the "blues", I hear this non-
african singing "Malaika" in very well pronounced Swahili. Later,
I cornered him and he told me that he practiced it immensely as he said that
many of his fans liked the song.

Ruby- I had a great voice when I was young, but ruined it after imitating the
"gruff" voice of the late Jazz Great trumpeter- Louis Armstrong
following his visit to Tanzania in the early sixties.

I have sung Malaika at several nite spots in Africa and Asia during my
journalistic assignments in the seventies. This included the Addis Ababa Hilton
 Hotel where I sang with the well known Kenyan band - the "Ashantis, and at
Bombay's Hotel Heritage where I sang literally everyday during my three-week
stay in conjunction with a GOan band with whom I had practiced in Goa.

At our several sing along sessions in New York and New Jersey, I have
popularised the song which I sing in both Swahili and English  lyrics. I have
not thought about giving "YouTube" a "shot"- may be I have reached the accepted
standards.

After leaving Tanzania  in 1984, I lost touch with african artistes including
some great ones you made reference  to and many of whom I
wrote about. I am now more into Jazz, R & B, fast rock, Konkani music
in addition to swahili songs.

Francis- you sure did evoke memories of my brief stints at various nite clubs
in Nairobi- thanks to a female friend in the Kenyan capital
and the abuse of my press priviliges - the press card which gave me
free admission on weekdays. I can only remember the Sal Davis Nite Spot and
later the "Malaika" nite club.

I have two versions of "Jambo Bwana" , but was never aware that Jimmy Cliff
recorded this great song.

On the origins of Malaika, a Radio Tanzania  music broadcaster once told me
that "Malaika originated in Tanzania. I told her that since Fadhili
wrote it, its origins were in Kenya. Your  findings now lead credence
to her earlier  suggestion. Thanks for enlightening me on this score.

My youngest sister- Maria who, lives in Goa would always want me to attend
Remo Fernandes'  Thursday nite  sessions at his "Shack" where he would
sing popular Swahili songs. She told me that many of the attendees were
non East African goans- showing the increasing popularity of Swahili music in
Goa  I do not know if he still performs at the Shack.

And finally, Percival , thanks for your efforts in retrieving some of my
lost recordings.

rgds.

Tony Barros.
Union, New Jersey.