Benegal gets talking
7 Jul 2008, 0000 hrs IST,TNN

Considering his achievements, you would think Shyam Benegal a proud man.

But meeting him, reveals a down-to-earth and amiable person. It is an
easy conversation. The renowned filmmaker was recently in Goa for a film
festival. Unfortunately, ill health temporally hampered his stay but
after a quick visit to a local doctor, he was back to his energetic
self. The doctor's visit caused him to remark, "I am better. A nice Goan
doctor cured me. I have great trust in Goan doctors because my childhood
family doctor was also a Goan." Benegal fondly recalls a time he visited
his doctor's house at Christmas. "The traditional Goan meal was
excellent, especially the sorpotel and the bebinca," Benegal says
nostalgically.

Talking about his experiences in Goa, the filmmaker shares, "Goa is a
beautiful place. I shot two of my movies here - Bhumika and Trikal." He
adds, "Trikal was based on a typical Goan Christian household in
Loutolim. When I showed the movie to critics they thought I made a
foreign film. Back then, I had to explain to them that Goa too was part
of India."

Talking about movies made in other South Asian countries, Benegal
explains, "There is a common thread weaving together the cultures of
India and her neighbours. The society and family structure are still
very important. When we see their films, we can relate to them."

With two film festivals finding a base here, Goa's reputation as film
destination has catapulted worldwide. Commenting on this, the veteran
elucidates, "Goa has the right ingredients to host a film festival. It's
a prime holiday destination and film culture is also coming up. Goans
have contributed a lot to Indian cinema in the past."

In Benegal's opinion, with the screening of international films, Goans
will develop a taste for multi-cultural cinema. "You don't find this in
Mumbai with many people preferring Bollywood films."

The man is credited with establishing 'middle cinema' in India. But
getting accolades, when you come from a small town in Andhra Pradesh,
where there was absolutely no cinema, was tough. "My father thought I
was mad to take up this line of work. It was my ambition. I took the
risk and plunged in."

He started off his career in advertising and it was after watching
Satyajit Ray's film Pather Panchali that he shifted his attention to
making films. He says, "I was totally blown away when I saw the film. It
provided me the kind of direction and motivation I needed to make my
films."

Benegal feels he was destined to make films because he feels most alive
on a film set. He says, "When I make a movie, I feel alive. I am on a
perpetual holiday. There is nothing else I'd rather be doing. I never
feel stressed."

Known for his unique portrayal of society, the ace filmmaker says, "As a
filmmaker you have to create your own signature style and lay your own
path. When asked about the current trend in Bollywood trying to ape
Hollywood films? He answers, "That's silly. As a filmmaker you have to
define yourself. We are too awed by foreign designer names. And I do not
think it is right to ourselves," he concludes.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/India_Buzz/Benegal_gets_talking/artic
leshow/3203420.cms

~(^^)~