I agree with Santosh. These days (it was the same before, but it is
more so now), Goanet and also the media (controlled by whoever it is)
are becoming the fora for attaining legitimacy about who is fighting
for Goa and about what constitutes fighting for Goa. Few cares to
actually look and see who are really doing the hard spade work and the
nuanced discussions. It just has to be black or white, that's the way
goanet and the media want it. The terms of the debate are framed by
them and the people who work to fight for Goa are made the puppeteers
who have to expend their energy in debating within those terms. The
lens is also on the basis of political positions, caste, place of
origin, religion of the "fighters for Goa".

Also, things are measured by the "success" achieved. The "how" is not
questioned. The long term work done by so many people that brought
things about is not seen.That is not news. Ther press will tell such
people who do long term work, come and give us information and make it
newsy. Whose job is it to make news newsy, the people who are working
to fight for Goa  or the press? And should people run after the press
and take time off from the work they are doing or should the press
have its ears to the ground and run after the people? If someone, for
instance, kicks ( I mean literally and also figuratively but more the
latter) someone in public life and then addresses a press conference,
that is news, no matter whether a principle is laid down on the basis
of that or whether it was a one-off eye-catching incident or
photograph or activity.

This is not, as clarified at the start, to sweep every media person
into this "press" basket. But whether it is goanet posters (by and
large) or whether it is the media in Goa, they only reflect a sad
malaise of hearing ( sometimes not even that) but not listening to the
others' view-point and sticking to their own ( sometimes
management-dictated, sometimes their own) at any cost and of not
having their ears to the ground.

albertina

On 8/1/08, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote