Hi Bernardo
I read your post on why the [Catholic] Goans leave Goa
today. But surely, the trend began in Portuguese times
and this has perhaps become a cultural norm (like
shedding Konkani too!) apart from the continuing lack
of jobs for many.

There are at least two other factors. Firstly,
compared to Goa, the countries where the Goans
emigrate tend to be richer and therefore, for many, it
is easier to earn surplus money, assuming this is
worthwhile, even in the short term, than it is
possible for the one staying in Goa. Secondly, as
discussed by Roland in Canada and myself previously,
simple pragmatic 'orderliness' in daily life is an
attractive proposition to many in the increasingly
multicultural/diverse societies abroad.

If, by way of an example, my grandfathers left Goa in
the late 1890s and you and I have chosen to live
outside Goa, I think you do accept in your post that
it is not wrong for others to do so if that is their
choice. Generally, it is not how 'bad' things are at
home that make people leave but the rosy picture of
what they have of abroad that makes them want to
emigrate. I therefore do not accept your title of Goa
as a banana republic bearing in mind that some 200
million people are on the move internationally. It is
a comtemporary trend rather than exits from
innumerable banana republics surely!

In my view, it may be some time before exiting Goa for
pastures abroad will lose its attraction but there are
some signs of this happening already. Further, for
many reasons, in India generally, many professionals
are returning in the reverse brain drain from abroad.
Regards
Cornel
PS Typed in haste. Sorry.