Dears,

Today is the birthday of Dr. Heman Yeshwant Karapurkar and the death
anniversary of Bhausaheb Dayanand Balkrishna Bandodkar.

If I remember right, Dr. H. Y. Karapurkar is 73 and batting towards
the century with singles. In his heyday, he hit sixes and fours. I had
heard my father speak glowingly about Dr. H.Y.Karapurkar's father, Mr.
Yeshwant Karapurkar, Deputy Director of Agriculture, in the context of
a plant exhibition in what was known as "Fomento" and now is known as
the Duler Farm, bang opposite our home in Mapusa. My father was a
career educationist and a hobby farmer who had 40 heads of cattle and
a few thousand square metres of paddy fields under his personal
supervision. The other fields were all over Bardez and Tiswadi, mostly
looked after by loyal "mundkars". In 1967, the agriculture department
introduced the Green Revolution variety of Taichung Native -1 rice and
we ate gooey rice for a season. My father won prizes for coconuts in
that exhibition in the early 1960s when I was knee high to a
grasshopper that Cecil wrote about.

I met Dr. H.Y. Karapurkar for the first time in the chamber of the
Director of Agriculture on 4th Floor Vidyut Bhavan, Panaji, in August
1978. No I was not invited for his birthday celebrations, I was
summoned to receive the recommendation of my nomination to the
University of Agricultural Sciences at Bangalore [now Bengalooru, the
"land of beans"] for my undergraduate course in agriculture. I
received the letter, thanked him for it and went off to book my ticket
to Bangalore with two classmates in St. Xavier's College, Mapusa. We
went by ourselves a few days later. No parents or elders to accompany
us. I did not have the occasion to meet Dr. Karapurkar during the four
years of study in Bangalore. On my return to Goa, I bumped into him in
Panaji one day. As per the upbringing we received at home and school,
I wished him. He was a well known person. I was shocked by his
response, "Good evening Braganza" We had met briefly just once a full
four years ago ..... and he remembered my surname! It was not a common
surname either. Later, I learnt that Dr.Karapurkar's memory for names
and statistics was a legend.

Dr. Karapurkar has been known to pick up a file and go directly to the
CM and get it approved and sent "down" to the concerned ministers and
Secretaries and the under-secretaries for concurrence with appropriate
financial and administrative sanctions. What had to be done quick he
got done quickly. What could wait, went throrough the "normal process"
that means different things to different proposals. I learnt first
hand that Dr. Karapurkar knew his officers, subordinate staff and
farmers by name. This is no mean feat when the officers and staff are
spread over ten zonal offices in eleven talukas [and till 1987 also
Daman and Diu]. He knew where they were from, where they lived and
whether they were doing work or just employed in a job.

One anecdote that I heard of him [though not confirmed] is about a
staff member who often availed of 45 days leave that one was eligible
in case of a miscarriage. When the lady in question was about 50 years
old, he is supposed to have written in the file "Please verify through
medical officer, the applicant must have reached menopause." ;-) He
was right. He had prevented miscarriage of justice.

In 1990, I returned after doing my M. Sc.[Agri] in Horticulture and
was posted in Mapusa, next door to home. There was a request for
deputing an officer to Goa University to serve as the first "Garden
Superintendent". The rank of "Junior Class A Gazetted" and the salary
was that of an Assistant Director of Agriculture. Naturally, almost
everyone with an M.Sc. [Agri] wanted to go. I was selected by Dr.
H.Y.Karapurkar and Dr. S.K.Gandhe, the then Registrar of Goa
University and Special Secretary to CM of Goa. Friction had started
between the all-powerful Registrar and the new Vice-Chancellor, Dr.
Padmakar Dubhashi. Said Dr. Gandhe, "If he knows I have selected
Braganza, he will reject him. Let us send him two names. He will make
the same choice as us." Dr. P.R.Dubhashi had me interviewed by a panel
of three persons, including Dr. Abraham of GMC, Dr. Gandhe and
himself. He made a choice that Dr. Gandhe had predicted and Dr.
Karapurkar had agreed. Dr. Karapurkar also provided me with all the
backing to make my stint successful at the Goa University. I never
felt alone.

At the end of my extended two year deputation, Dr. Dubhashi did not
want to relieve me. I wanted to work with Dr. Heman [he deserves that
name He Man] Karapurkar before he retired in August, 1993. There were
officers in the Dept. who did not want me to come back till there was
a clear vacancy, as anew officer had been adjusted against my vacant
post. Since I "repatriated" [posting in the Goa University was on
"foreign service basis" whatever that means] against their wishes, I
was posted at Ela Farm for one day and two holidays and then shunted
off to Ponda to work under Mr.Satish Tendulkar, the present Director
of Agriculture. I suffered in silence as even draft covering letters
for routine reports were "corrected" in red ink and sent for
re-typing, a task that the office typists cribbed to do when given for
the third time. [That Satish continues with this habit after 15 long
years, is another matter. I have voluntarily retired a decade ago and
it bothers me not!] After 15 days, Dr. Karapurkar called me to his
chamber and asked. "Are you happy?" I told him the truth. He said,
"Get a letter typed that your services are needed in the Head Office
and I will sign it." I had his steno type a draft letter and gave it
to him. He looked at me sternly and said, "I said get me a letter, not
a draft. I know you can draft well." I did as told and served "on loan
basis" at Panaji till my promotion in the month he retired. I would
have loved to work with him in the newly formed Goa State Horticulture
Corporation [Dr. Karapurkar had even brought a Government order to
that effect] but his successor and some of my collegues put paid to
that plan.

After two years in the Corporationas its first and only Chairman & MD,
Dr. Karapurkar went on to be the Chairman of the Goa Public Service
Commission. If you hear of Sandeep Jacques and Sanjit Rodrigues among
the myraid of GPS cadre officers, it is thanks to him. In almost any
Government office that I have been with him, the head of office stops
what he or she is doing and stands up to greet him. That says a lot
about the man and what he means to the people he has touched by his
kindness.

Bhausaheb Bandodkar is remembered today for many things...the greatest
being empowerment through education. He started a thousand Government
Primary Schools [GPS] in remote and far flung villages. The GPS
teachers were from Maharashtra and Marathi speaking areas of
Karnataka. He started the Goa Education Society that operated the
Dhempe College. What happened to GES is another story. He brought in
officers on deputation form Maharashtra to run services till Goans
could be trained to do the jobs. He was not much educated ...but just
see his vision and his ability to do! We lost a lot of family property
because of the land to the tiller act of 1967 and 1972. We grudge it
not. It empowered a whole set of people who had lost out during
colonial rule ...and are now being cheated by mineowners, SEZ
developers and land sharks again.

These two men are remembered in a special way by Goans. They will
never die. Their good deeds and kind words will keep them alive even
if they do not walk this earth.

Dr. Heman Y.Karapurkar is my professional guru. I wish him long life
and good health all the days of his life.

Mog asundi.

Miguel

--
Miguel Braganza, S1 Gracinda Apts,