STATEMENT BY EDUARDO FALEIRO, COMMISSIONER FOR NRI
AFFAIRS AT HIS PRESS BRIEFING (August 12, 2008)

I was in Toronto (Canada) from July 25-31. The purpose of my
visit was to inaugurate the annual Global Goans Convention.
You may recall that we had decided that this yearly event
should be held by rotation in different countries where there
is a significant population of Goan expatriates so that it
may permit participation of all those who for different
reasons are not able to come to Goa and also provide for
greater involvement of our expatriates on this occasion. Last
year the Convention was held in Portugal.

On the sidelines of the Convention, I discussed with the Goan
organizations modalities for redressal of grievances of
non-resident Goans.  It was decided that Goan organizations
should nominate one representative based in Goa for each
country with substantial Goan population and he/she should
submit the grievances of Goan expatriates to our office.  Our
office will then forward the complaints to the concerned
Departments and expect redressal within a month.  When this
is not possible we will issue a status report every month to
the concerned individual indicating the progress in the
settlement of his grievance until the matter is finally
resolved.

We propose to unite all Goan organizations outside Goa,
whether elsewhere in India or abroad, under one global
network based in Goa. The representatives of all such Goan
organizations will be involved in this project and we intend
to set up the Global Goans Office in Panaji by next December.

In Toronto, I had a meeting with Hon. Harinder Takkar,
Minister for Small Business and Consumer Affairs in that
Government. Mr. Takkar did his education in India and then
migrated to Canada where he became a successful businessman
and is now in Government. We noted the tremendous economic
progress of India and discussed modalities for involving NRIs
in this process. Mr. Takkar felt that NRIs who have
distinguished themselves particularly in the technological
and economic fields should be co opted as members of Boards
and Corporations in India so that their expertise would
benefit the country and the different States of India.

There would be no particular burden on the Government
in-as-much-as only those who come regularly to India and who
can afford to be here at their own cost would be nominated
and they would then interact with the concerned Board or
Corporation whenever they are in India or, in our case, in
Goa.  This is a suggestion which deserves sympathetic
consideration from our Government.

We had signed a contract with the Centre for Development
Studies (CDS) of Kerala for conducting a Goa Migration
Monitoring Study. The Centre is the foremost agency in India
on Migration Studies. The purpose of the Study is to collect
data on migration from Goa and analyse its impact on the
social and economic situation of our State.

The Study will contain reports on the following twelve
subjects: (i) Demograply of Goa; (ii) Migration from Goa; a
historical overview; (iii) Internal Migration: census
analysis; (iv) Population characteristics of sample
households; (v) International migration estimates; trends and
patterns; (vi) Causes, costs and financing of migration;
(vii) Estimates of remittances and their utilization;(viii)
Impact of migration on Education and Health; (ix) Consumption
and investment behaviour in Goa; (x) Migration and women;
(xi) Migration and the elderly; (xii) Rehabilitation of
return Emigrants.

The Goa Migration Monitoring Study will also include a
section on Goan migration from the historical perspective.
This section will recreate the past Goan context, social,
historical, geographical and political to situate and explain
Goan migration.  It will focus mainly on the following
regions where Goans migrated: Mumbai and Karachi, East
Africa, Portugal, U.K. Myanmar, Macau, Middle East, U.S.A and
Canada.  This section is being prepared by the Xavier Centre
of Historical Studies.

The work is proceeding as per schedule. The CDS has selected
6000 households across the State on random sampling for
survey and interviewing.  4000 households have already been
surveyed, the inmates interviewed and collection of similar
data regarding the remaining 2000 households will be
completed in the course of this month. Editing and analysis
of the data has already begun. The Preliminary Report will be
submitted by CDS end October and the Final Report in November
next.

(Ends)