MAPPING OUR WORLD
Peter Nazareth

I received a copy of Domnic's Goa while I was reading A Third Map: New and Selected Poems by Edwin Thumboo (Uni Press, Centre for the Arts, National University of Singapore, 1993), preparing to teach a class on Singapore Literature and write a book on Thumboo. I have been involved with Thumboo's writing since I did an interview with him in 1977, when he came to the International Writing Program at the University of Iowa at the same time as I began to work for it as Advisor. The transcribed interview of 81 pages has been published in extracts in five countries, most recently in Singapore in ARIELS: Departures and Returns (Oxford University Press, 2001). Thumboo was an official in the government and then, at the National University of Singapore, was Chair of the Department of English, Dean of Arts and Sciences, Director of the Centre for the Arts, but he is best known as the unofficial poet laureate of Singapore. Although I was born in Uganda, I was interested in Malaysia because my mother was born in Kuala Lumpur, where my maternal grandfather, Mathias Gomes, was a professional classical musician. Thumboo had studied African poetry and had directed the Master's dissertation of Theo Luzuka, the Ugandan who designed the cover of my novel, In a Brown Mantle.

To my surprise, there was a connection between Domnic's and Thumboo's books. Both are "national" writers concerned with nature and a past that seems to have disappeared. For most Goans, missing the past means longing for the good old days under Portuguese colonialism-I found criticism of Domnic's book on this score in a review by Claude Alvares posted on the internet. But Domnic begins Chapter 3 as follows: "Contrary to what some make it sound like now, life in the Goa of the Forties and Fifties was not a piece of cake. It was tough. Those of us who were born during this period have witnessed tremendous changes. It was almost like a transition from the Stone Age to the modern world; with determination we forged our lives and came out victorious." (pages 9-10)

Domnic loves nature and the relationship of people of his generation to that nature and he regrets its disappearance not only in real life-I think here of John Mayall's song "Nature's Disappearing"-but also in the awareness of the present generation. He is not opposed to progress but points out that the past runs through the present. There was technological progress in the past too, but being slower it did not sever the relationship with nature. Yet cyber-space need not erase the past, as shown by the opening paragraph of chapter 27, "Cine theatres over the years": "Coming up in cyberspace, a recent listing played a flashback of sorts in my memory. It reminded me of cine-theatres of the yesteryears that drew crowds in and around Mapusa. There were quite a few across Bardez." In fact, Domnic says that his essays began on the internet and he subsequently received requests from Goans around the globe to bring out a book.

The chapters are triggered by Domnic's memory of growing up in Goa but he explores and extends his experience. For example, he says: Today, people wake up to the musical sounds of an alarm clock, a mobile-phone or even set a television wake-up. In the past, they woke up to the rooster's call or at the chirping of birds at dawn.

Sounds produced by various animals brought joy to the ears and were considered entertainment of sorts. Whenever the wind blew and tree branches and palm leaves swayed, people admired and considered it to be nature's wonder.

People watched the rivers flow and thanked the Creator. They went to the seashores and spent hours watching the vast ocean before their eyes. They quietly appreciated the waves which formed in the sea and broke upon the shores splashing tons of water which traveled as far as possible up the shore. This too was a form of entertainment..

We are told that the origin of music possibly stems from natural sounds and rhythms: the human heartbeat, the songs of birds the rustling of wind through the trees, the thunder and sound of rain, the dripping of water in a cave, the crackle of a burning fire and the sounds of waves breaking on a beach or bubbles in a brook.

It is most likely that the first musical instrument was the human voice itself. One's voice can make a vast array of sounds, from singing, humming and whistling (some of these being the more musical forms) through to clicking, coughing and yawning (less musical).

It is also likely the first instruments were percussion instruments, the clapping of hands, stones hit against one another, or things that are whatever else was useful to create rhythm." (5-6)

Domnic describes food; fruit (see the brilliant chapter, "Goa's guest from Brazil: the cashew"); travel; religion (inevitably including St. Francis Xavier); music; liquor (and its role in the community); the making and use of wells ("the water of life"); clothing; the importance of animals (cows, pigs, etc.); the importance of cow-dung to houses; love; marriage; family relationships; the seasons; the importance of sewing skills; the church painter; tiatr; the connections between Catholics and Hindus; the different classes and castes; and funerals.

We see and experience life in its totality because Domnic enjoys life above all and has a sense of humor rather than being judgemental about the way people behave (although he believes that anything in excess is destructive). But he reinforces what he knows not only through study but also through practical experimentation. For example, he not only tells us how the ghumott is made: he takes lessons in playing traditional music and plays it in a band, even though he loves and describes international forms of music such as by Johnson and his Jolly Boys. He has a chapter on the "Gulfee" which I found very informative as I was born in Uganda of an "Africander" father. I am surprised that Goans seem to be on the outside in the Gulf while in Africa (despite Idi Amin, who was put into power by the West, as one can see in my novel The General is Up) many Goans could be part of the scene if they chose to-though the paradox for writers is that in order to contribute to their country, they need to go outside (as was done by Sam Selvon, V.S. Naipaul, Andrew Salkey, George Lamming and other West Indian writers). Maybe this is because at a certain stage of maturity-Domnic went to the Gulf when he was 26-one must write about home by drawing from memory and imagination, and in doing so, find meaning in and present it through the words, so it helps to be far from home physically. Yet, in apparent contrast, Thumboo seeks to create a hinterland for Singapore from the many cultures of people who came to work at the entrepot city of Singapore (which was suddenly pushed out of Malaysia in 1965) through making their past available in the present, through the description of the people and the terrain and the myths and their meanings in the present without himself going away from the country for an extended period of time other than through the imagination. He told me that social history was lived but not recorded in Singapore under colonial rule. We needed to go back to really look at our historical as well as our social past, he said. Notice how much of what he says about social history applies to Domnic's writing: [Social history] is not history consisting of traumatic events but a history of the family, of ordinary people, and literature is made out of the lives and experiences of ordinary people. This kind of historical continuity we alone must attempt to construct.. [It is] important because out of it, you construct your types [my stress] which are altogether necessary. Without them, you can't see the evolution of your own society and, thus, your writing may only be confined to the contemporary, devoid of a historical perspective. The historical perspective is important for us because, after all, Singapore is such a small place and it is already modernizing so rapidly, becoming a kind of international city. We are in danger of losing our historical hinterland. (ARIELS, 167-168)

Domnic constructs his types in two opposite ways. First, he tells stories about individuals who have some particular characteristics that make them special or eccentric, so that they are individuals as well as people performing necessary or useful roles in society, e.g. Bombo Porobo the church painter on page 107. Second, he creates stereotypes. People think that stereotyping is bad, but this is not always so: they are abstractions taken from many individuals and put into general figures, such as the boyfriend wooing his girlfriend on page 130 and the girlfriend responding on page 131. And so the book is peopled with memorable individuals as well as representations of how the people behave in different contexts. To give us a fuller understanding, he purposefully presents many expressions in Konkani, which he translates in a utilitarian way, so I had to slow down to read instead of whizzing through as on a superhighway.

Since Thumboo is a poet, however, we must look not only at his statements but also at his poetry. There are poems that describe people as exceptional individuals such as in "Ibrahim bin Ahmad" and as stereotypes as in "An Ordinary Man" but the poetry can do more. This is how "Evening in Batok Town" ends: Yet high-rise and high-way, The new breed in search of Gleaming jobs, the computer-mind, Turn memory shorter than the land's, Or that kept whole by auguries of Spirit, descent of custom, the pain Of friendship; or the spell in the rose. Unless brought into the blood's necessity By an evening sky, by immemorial Language of cloud and light. (A Third Map, 119)

Thumboo's poems seem simple on the surface but are complex when one pays attention to the depths of and the terrain covered by the words. Despite its cover, Domnic's Goa too is not a nostalgic romp in that it is not a carefree and effortless frolic into a simple past: the words are a way of planting in the reader's subconscious serious experiences and questions about what the people should be in the postcolonial, global and cyberspace world. Human beings are not machines. They have a subconscious and are part of a collective unconscious. If nature is disappearing, it needs to be replanted in the people. Words can do it.

Thumboo seeks to create a new nation out of various ethnicities (his father was Tamil from Sri Lanka, his mother Chinese) while Domnic seeks to replant in the new Goans the roots of old Goa. Thumboo stressed in his interview that he was taught and awakened to history in school by my cousin, Philip Nazareth, although he added, "the kind of 'hinterland' I may refer to is not straight from history; it is the psychic inheritance which anybody in India or perhaps Japan, or even an oral society in Africa, has and which he can carry with him as part of his consciousness; and not merely his consciousness, but also as a living part of the language, the emotions, the social institutions. In other words, I am referring to the whole fabric of what we consider both the background to a culture and the very culture itself." (ARIELS, 168)

"Let me confess though that I still consider myself a child and this is what makes me bring out the past in me and present it to you," says Domnic, using the word "present" with a double meaning, a technique employed frequently by Thumboo. "Remember: anyone who forgets his or her past, forgets himself or herself." (125) He is assisted in his project by his "twin", Domnic Cordo, whose spare drawings help make the people of the past present. (ENDS)

The above review was published in CONFLUENCE - South Asian Perspectives, Volume 6 Number 7, October 2007

Peter Nazareth is Professor of English, University of Iowa, USA. This review is sourced from his forthcoming book: "Edwin Thumboo: Creating a Nation through Poetry"

Dominic's Goa
ISBN 978-81-904640-0-0
Rs.350/-
http://www.confluence.org.uk/data/magazine/Confluence_October_2007.pdf