The loss of innocence

Dr Oscar Rebello feels that violent attacks, such as the one on advocate Aires Rodrigues and historian Prajal Sakhardande, are sure to rip apart the trust-based fabric of Goan society

As is usual with seizures, they tend to be recurrent when not adequately treated; and Goa was witness to yet another serious convulsion in the week that went by - the brutal, cowardly assault on Aires-Prajal in Panaji.

Much has been said and written about the colourful and controversial Aires. I've even been witness to the nauseating refrain, at times, that Aires had it coming - as if obsession with a point of law that Aires displayed, is somehow punishable in this atrocious manner.

But enough about Aires. I must relate to you the version of the soft-spoken, pure-at-heart, gentleman-professor Prajal Sakhardande.

On that fateful night, Prajal accompanied Aires to the restaurant for a chicken xacuti. His mission was to convince Aires that instead of constantly hammering out at his one-point agendas of educational qualifications of a minister, alleged threat calls made to him, or the question of Advocate General fees, he should channelise his energy by joining eminent citizens in devising a strategy for special status for Goa. To work unitedly towards a positive agenda for the state.

And for his childlike innocence, he was marked out as another target for the sharpshooters. At the public rally held at Azad Maidan, nothing expressed this anguished cry at the murder of innocence better than the words of one of my timeless heroines - Professor Isabela Santa Rita Vas.

How much must evil triumph before the first rays of goodness get even a peep in sideways? How much blood must be shed before the first faint glimpse of a rainbow be seen on the horizon? How much more must our voices be submerged before we are allowed one gasp of fresh air? And how much more must we remain divided before we eventually disintegrate?

With the present politics of greed and avarice, lawlessness and religious bigotry, revenge and retribution, one is agonised to witness the death of innocence in the heart and mind of the simple Goan citizen who passionately loves this land and her way of life.

And the supreme irony of this phenomenon is that often times innocent kids of politicians themselves get sucked into this noxious whirlpool of violence and vendetta.

By systematically, deliberately and often brutally snuf fing out the last breath of this innocence, we run the irreversible risk of converting our people and our land into a parched desert of tragic unhappiness and unending sorrow. Whether our leaders of successive governments over the years and the establishment elite can ever comprehend how this unhappiness would eventually devastate the very soul of Goa will never really be known.

It is said that a good shepherd takes his innocent lambs out to graze; a clever shepherd sells his innocent lambs to the highest bidder and a truly malicious shepherd takes his innocent lambs out to slaughter.

But somehow, amid all this profound sadness, innocent folk have this divine resilience and strength to face the odds and with a simple conviction in their hearts know that hope springs eternal. (ENDS)

http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Repository/ml.asp?Ref=VE9JR08vMjAwOC8xMC8xOSNBcjAwNDAw&Mode=HTML&Locale=english-skin-custom