Dear all,

At around 12 noon, I submitted copies of the letter appended below to
the Films Division Chief Producer Kuldeep Sinha and the Director of
IFFI Mr S M Khan. I was informed that the documentary Film was
withdrawn as the State Administration did not want a confrontation
with the protesting groups. Both of them expressed their dismay over
the turn of events but expressed hope that the documentary Film on
India's foremost Artist would be screened at a deferred future date,
subject to them getting the green signal from the State
administration.

Copy of my letter:

Through Newspaper reports, I understand that the Films Division of
India has decided to withdraw the screening of a documentary Film on
M.F. Hussein titled "Through the Eyes of the Painter", scheduled for
screening on 25th November 2008. If the reports are true, then such a
decision comes across as hugely distressing nay shocking to the
connoisseurs of Indian Art and Cinema.

It is extremely sad and disappointing to note that M.F. Husain,
India's pioneer Artist, continues to be treated in such a shabby
manner by the State and its different Agencies/ Bodies, who instead of
upholding the laws of the land, are bowing down to pressures from
fringe radical elements from the society.

It is pertinent to point out that the highest Courts of the land have
ruled in favour of M.F. Hussain. In its Judgment vindicating Hussain's
Art, Justice Kaul from the Delhi High Court observed: "India's new
Puritanism, practiced by a largely ignorant crowd in the name of
Indian spiritual purity, is threatening to throw the nation back into
the Pre-Renaissance era," "Today, each painting has a story to
narrate. Art to every artist is a vehicle for personal expression. An
aesthetic work of art has the vigour to connect to an individual
sensually, emotionally, mentally and spiritually," the court further
observed. The Supreme Court also upheld the High court ruling in
favour of Hussein, thus preserving the Artist's rights of Freedom of
artistic expression.

M.F. Hussain is India's greatest Artist, aptly described by Forbes
magazine as the "Picasso of India". In his illustrious career spanning
across 7 decades, he has won the highest honours of the land including
State Awards such as the "Padma Bhushan" in 1973 and the "Padma
Vibhushan" in 1991. Today, Husain who has gone on to become the
highest paid painter in India with his single canvases having fetched
up to $2 million at a recent Christie's auction, is an inspiration to
thousands of artists across India. On the other hand, organizations
like the Sanatan Saunstha and the Hindu Janajagruti Samiti are radical
organizations that wish to lead India and Hinduism back into the dark
ages. (Please check the attachment to see graphical illustrations of
the hate propaganda that appears in their websites and in their
published dailies against our National leaders, Christians and Muslims
and even the Judiciary)

The State and the Film Division of India should not allow themselves
to be bowed down by the self-proclaimed moral policemen who have
time-and-again proved that they do not respect the laws of the land.
M.F. Hussain, who has brought such immense honour to our country and
to our civilization, certainly does not deserve to be harassed by
malicious propaganda from such fringe radical Hindu organizations!

India is a liberal secular Republic. When the Highest Courts of the
land have ruled in favour of Hussain, withdrawing the screening would
thus tantamount to showing great disrespect to the highest democratic
Institutions of our society. As a registered IFFI delegate, I would
certainly hope that the documentary is screened as scheduled.

Yours sincerely

Sandeep Heble
Panjim-Goa