* * * * * * * * *       ANNUAL  GOANETTERS  MEET       * * * * * * * * *

  Goanetters in Goa and visiting meet Jan 6, 2009 at 3.30 pm at Hotel
Mandovi (prior to the Goa Sudharop event, which you're also welcome to).
Join in for a Dutch dinner -- if we can agree on a venue after the meet.

   RSVP (confirmations only) 9822122436 or 2409490 or f...@goa-india.org

I had stated in this thread what in my opinion would be the right thing to do
if anybody becomes a victim of a violent attack. I had suggested that he/she
should file a criminal complaint and seek law enforcement action. I had also
suggested that he/she should not politicize or communalize the crime against
him/her, and not call a press conference if he/she wants his/her privacy,
dignity and self-respect to remain unharmed.

Marshall who has no clue about my background disagreed with me, and accused me
of being out of touch with poor people and victims of crime in India, and that
in India what I said above is not what a crime victim should do. Marshall also
appears to believe that information regarding communal violence when presented
by a single religious and political campaigner or a spokesperson for a
religious or political organization representing one of the sides in the
conflict, is to be taken to be factually accurate, and not biased and
communally slanted in any way. Samir says he agrees with Marshall on all of
these issues 100%.

However, neither of them has explicitly stated what steps should be taken by a
victim of a violent crime, and whether they would like the victim to divulge
facts about the crime against him/her to a religious and political campaigner
or spokesperson of a religious and political organization belonging to his/her
own religion and political party. I would therefore like to ask them the
following questions:

1. What steps should a victim of a violent crime committed in India take?
2. What should a Christian or Muslim victim do if the criminal happens to be
Hindu?
3. What should a Hindu or Muslim victim do if the criminal happens to be
Christian?
4. What should a Hindu or Christian victim do if the criminal happens to be
Muslim?
5. What should the victim do if the criminal happens to belong another religion
or creed?
6. Which Hindu religious and political campaigner or spokesperson for a Hindu
religious and political organization would you trust to give you accurate facts
about communal violence involving Hindus and Christians or Hindus and Muslims?

Cheers,

Santosh