Guv releases book on Raj Bhavan

PANAJI: Governor Shivinder Singh Sidhu on Wednesday released "The Raj Bhavan,
Goa,"
a book published by the government as part of its programme to raise awareness
about
the state's heritage.

Expressing happiness over the book's release, Sidhu said he had gone through
the
book's script on several occasions and found it "extremely interesting and
absorbing". Sidhu praised former chief minister Manohar Parrikar, during whose
tenure the book was first initiated. He also commended the support given to the
book's publication by Parrikar's successor Pratapsing Rane and present chief
minister Digambar Kamat. Sidhu also praised the book's script writer Mario
Cabral e
Sa.

Sidhu said the book "reflects not only the historical and cultural facets of
Goa,
but also tastefully brings out the architectural glory and aesthetic grandeur
of the
magnificient Raj Bhavan. The book broadly dwells upon Goa's cultural and
political
gloriesancient, medieval and modernand gives a vivid account of the sprawling
and
evergreen Raj Bhavan by some eminent dignitaries who stayed there."

Sidhu hoped the book would attract the curiosity and attention of people from
various walks of life and that the it would be widely read and appreciated by
students, scholars and all who love Goa.

Chief minister Digambar Kamat, speaker Pratapsing Rane, cabinet ministers,
secretaries and other dignitaries were also present at the book release at Raj
Bhavan.

In his address, Rane recalled his association with the Raj Bhavan since the
last 37
years. "Sometimes to be sworn in as minister or chief minister and sometimes to
submit my resignation as chief minister when my government came in minority,"
said
Rane evoking polite laughter from the audience.

Rane said the book was important as it would leavesomething of Goa to
posterity.
"Goa has many historic places and we need more books to provide information to
tourists and people. We have the palace of Adil Shah which is undergoing
renovations
and the forts of Goa. We must presevere all these buildings as part of the
heritage
of Goa," Rane said.

Chief minister Digamber Kamat said the Raj Bhavan is one of the oldest heritage
structures in Goa and that the government would put all efforts to maintain
Goa's
heritage. Kamat said the Adil Shah palace is being renovated and will be
converted
into a centre for art and culture with a section to display Goa's liberation
struggle. He said the government is also planning to publish another book on
all
eminent Goans who did Goa proud.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Cities/Goa/Guv-releases-book-on-Raj-Bhavan/articleshow/4699015.cms