Govt plans music revival

PANAJI: Taking cognizance of the declining interest among youth to learn the
art of
playing traditional musical instruments like the shennai, trumpet, clarinet or
sarangi, the art and culture department has decided to initiate efforts to
encourage
its revival.

"Some of our traditional forms, including traditional musical instruments are
on the
verge of extinction and our department has decided to provide guidance to the
youth
and others who are interested," said Ashok Parab, assistant director,
department of
art and culture.

The department's initiative is aimed at providing guidance inclusive of basic
or
primary knowledge and training in the traditional forms of art and music.

As a beginning, the department will organise a workshop from July 29 to August
impart training in sarangi, a stringed instrument. Pandit Santosh Mishra will
be the
expert guide for the workshop, said Parab, while adding that regular training
classes will also be soon started.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/NEWS-City-Goa-Govt-plans-music-revival/articleshow/4774081.cms