What is all this controversy regarding Christian and Hindu names. If you refering Christian names to Saint names, I can understand, but then aren't we secular. My friend's daughter is married to a Polish Catholic. She has an Indian name 'Maya' her second name is the Polish version of Agnes and her Polish surname.

In Goa it was a tradition to give names of the patron saint of your family. Today hardly anyone has these names, its either russian names, german names, etc. One name for a boy which is so common in India is Rahul, it has something to do with Lord Buddha who was Prince Sidharath. One has Catholic, Sikhs, Hindus, Jains, etc. with the name of Rahul.

What about Indians copying the west where dress is concerned. The other day I went for a dinner 'do,' wearing an 'oriya' sari. Everyone else was in western attire. How many Goans wear a Sherwani or a Bangala, is it because they consider themselves Portuguese. Do the westerners copy our attire. Now, in Portugual, Hindi films is the 'done' thing.

Please let us be secular, don't forget, Judaism, Christanity and Islam are all comparative religions.

Ana Maria de Souza-Goswami -------------- next part --------------