Planning to get married in Goa?

www.weddingsetcgoa.com

Making your 'dream wedding' possible

A few days back, during the heat of Subodh Kerkar’s “Ganesha” Art
Exhibition controversy, the “Sunaparanta Goa Centre For Arts”
organized a Panel discussion on the topic of “Freedom of Speech and
Expression”. The Panelists, Dr Subodh Kerkar, Venita Coelho,
Vidhyadhar Gadgil and Geoffrey Witte voiced their individual opinions
on the subject and thereafter indulged in a fruitful interaction with
the audience.  I was a part of the audience which was reasonably
large. Amongst other recognizable faces were Frederick Noronha, Vivek
Menezes, Cecil Pinto,  Shrikant Barve and Rajiv D’ Silva.

While the scope of the discussions generally centered on the topic of
“Free Expression”, the discussions for a short moment degenerated into
a debate on ‘Secularism’ and ‘Communalism’, courtesy Frederick
Noronha.

I always thought that Frederick was a rationalist but I found his
logic on that day peculiar and highly absurd to say the least.
Frederick’s logic was akin to the logic used by ‘Bernard Simoes’ who
blamed Darwin for racism, Nazism, Fascism, Communism,  genocides and
terrorism of the whole World in his article that appeared in the
Herald some 3 weeks back. Frederick similarly tried to pin the blame
for India's conflicts, rioting, strife and communalism on Jawaharlal
Nehru, by making the meaningless claim that Nehru’s policy of
promoting science and rationalism were the root causes of all of
India’s evils.

To make a strong case against atheism, Frederick cherry picked the
examples of Jinnah and Advani. To make a strong case in favour of
religion, he cherry picked the example of Gandhi ignoring all the
other religious fundamentalists who are operating in the Indian space.
Fortunately, there were no religious fundamentalists - Hindu,
Christian or Muslim - present there on that day. Had they been there,
they would surely have garlanded him and declared him a hero. Such
were his postures in favour of religion and against the principles of
atheism, rationalism and science.

I have no personal issues with Frederick Noronha. I am posting the
discussions here because I disagree with such thoughts, which I
believe are ridiculous and need to be nipped in the bud.

The whole concept of Secularism was born when people revolted against
the Religious Orders. Until then, we had no rights, freedoms and
liberties.  Women were burnt on the pyres of their husbands or on the
suspicion of being witches. Humans were treated as untouchables
because of their caste or skin-colour. Principles of Free Speech and
Expression were virtually non-existent. Those who challenged religious
concepts were tortured and even killed.

Why is Frederick making baseless assertions while ignoring the ugly
realities of religion? Can History be ignored, can the truth be
suppressed? Is it fair to blame Jawaharlal Nehru, decades after his
death, for India’s communal tensions?

cheers
Sandeep