------------------------------

   *5 Nov, 2009          www.oheraldo.in *
  **
*The real betrayers of Goa
*
Chief Minister Digambar Kamat has rightly advised Goans not to sell their
land to outsiders.
Some Goans are blessed with so much wealth through inheritance that due to
greed and the desire to lead a sussegad life, they don’t even think twice
before selling their ancestral properties and houses to outsiders and
foreigners, and then reside inside flats and bungalows. It would have better
if these Goans packed their bags and shifted somewhere outside Goa after
selling their inheritance properties since it shows us that they don’t have
any concern and love for fellow Goans who long to buy a small piece of land
in our tiny Goa and thereby protect its unique identity and environment.
Recently, I met a Goan in Dubai who was working as a broker, buying and
selling properties and houses in Goa. The rates which he mentioned for a
small piece of land or a flats were beyond the reach of a majority of Goans,
even those who work on ships and in the Gulf. I asked him whether he is
dealing with outsiders to sell Goa? His answer was prompt: as long as he
gets money he has no problem of selling Goan land and houses to outsiders.
Such people are the true betrayers of Goa.
Can such Goans tell us how long will they will enjoy the money they received
by selling their land and houses to outsiders and whether they will get back
the land once sold to a outsider? It is my humble request to all Goans who
really want to protect Goa to stop selling their properties and houses to
outsiders, so that our future generations do not feel like strangers in
their own land.

*Julius Carvalho, *
*Dubai*
**