'' Saudades ''' is a Portuguese word that cannot be easily be translated in
English
language.  Its nearest meaning could be ''' sighs on remembering past times
'''.
As a student in the forties/early fifties , I too have saudades that cannot
be erased from
my mind especially those of the so called members of the high society in
Margao
during the colonial days.  They were mostly families whose members had
somewhat
white skin and physically were of better structure than other humble Goans.
Their
bungalows were concentrated in areas like Largo da Igreja ( Espirito Santo )
, on the
road  (I forget its name ) passing in front of Hospicio, on Abade Faria
road, and in that
part of Borda which is closer to church.
Today these bungalows are closed with doors and windows shut and stand like
tall
ghosts of the past in Margao. Wonder if they are treated like evacue
property by
Govt of Goa.
In 1954 when Daman enclaves like Dadra and Nagar Haveli were occupied by pro

Indian sympathisers  both India and Portugal became antagonists till
Dec.1961.
During this period of 7 years, it is possible most of these families
emigrated to
Portugal, Angola and Mocambique .
My fellow students from these families never threw weight around  but there
were
some dark skinned students who always tried to impose their
''superiority''on
others by constantly reminding us   ''' Nos somos bramanes. pa '''
According to my hindsight, it is possible and I could be wrong,  the
Portuguese
Govt. took good care of white skinned mestisos and helped them to settle in
Portugal and in their colonies in Africa but left the dark skinned mestisos
in
lurch to fend for themselves with church as ultimate solace.