In the US too we are referred to by most either verbally or in print as 'Goanese'. This stems from ignorance and not from any other reason as they do not know any better. Those who know the community well always refer to them as Goans. I fully agree with FN when he concludes saying 'simply a mix of misunderstanding on the outside, and over-sensitivity on the inside.'

Furthermore, in French, a person from Pakistan is not Pakistani but Pakistanese. I too was surprised as being addressed as such by a Frenchman once. But that is how it is in French.

regards,

Mike