Governor greets Goans on Liberation Day
HERALD NEWS DESK
PANJIM, DEC 18

Governor Dr S S Sidhu has extended warm greetings and best wishes to the people
of
Goa on the occasion of the Goa Liberation Day.

Addressing the State on AIR, Doordarshan and news channels, Dr Sidhu said that
December 19 is a memorable day in the history of Goa as it was on this day that
Goa
was liberated from the Portuguese rule.

“A generation of determined patriots from Goa and other parts of the country
made
supreme sacrifices to regain Goa’s freedom from the colonial rule,” Dr Sidhu
informed and urged the people to pay tributes to all those martyrs and valiant
men
and women whose sacrifices and selfless efforts enabled the State to attain
freedom.

Dr Sidhu added that liberation witnessed the dawn of democracy in Goa and
enabled
her to join the national mainstream for planned socio-economic development in
consonance with the cherished Constitutional ideals and objectives.

“During the 48 years of post-Liberation era, Goa has made phenomenal and
noteworthy
accomplishments in political, social, economic and cultural spheres. The gains
include retention of separate identity within the Indian Union through the
historic
Opinion Poll, recognition of Konkani as the Official Language, grant of
full-fledged
Statehood and a positive transformation on the socio-economic front,” he added.

“The Liberation Day is an appropriate occasion to retrospect and introspect our
past
gains and also to renew our efforts to bring about higher level of progress in
all
spheres and to improve the quality of life of our people. At the same time, we
will
have to be eternally vigilant to safeguard the hard-won freedom. The threat of
terrorism is looming large and is a matter of serious concern. A collective
effort
is, therefore, the need of the honour to protect our Motherland,” said Dr Sidhu.

http://oheraldo.in/pagedetails.asp?nid=31299&cid=26