                     **** http://www.GOANET.org ****

                        Happy New Year Twenty-Ten

Talking Photo: Almanac, Bentina-Bentina

I remember, those days an eldery man used to come in our locality
selling  Almanac, Kadtelio, Bentina etc and he used to say loudly thus -
 Almanac de Parade, betina, benjad betina etc

We had one copy on our walls.
My mother used to find out if there was any 'omas' through somebody.
(i think it also had information on high tide, low tide, half moon full moon
etc)

Almanac was also a handy companion of the traditional feast hawkers,
 from where they come to know the annual feasts and fairs.
(Festas e feiras anuals)

Almanac is still available for sale both in Portuguese and English
version. I think it Rs.6 each at Casa J D Fernandes'
This year, it will be thier 107 year of publication

This one of last year's
http://www.flickr.com/photos/joegoaukextras/4254899480/sizes/l/

Also availabe at TG BORCAR, Emanuel Printers, Zito Almeida all
from Margao. Livraria Bobe, Mapuca

joego...@yahoo.co.uk

for Goa & NRI related info...