Second autopsy ordered as family alleges political harassment Cops stop funeral of woman ‘linked to minister’ Devika Sequeira Panaji, June 1, DHNS *In a dramatic turn of events, the Goa police on Tuesday stopped the funeral of a woman in South Goa, after the Margao sub-divisional magistrate (SDM) ordered a second autopsy in the case.* [image: NCP minister Micky Pacheco (top) tries to brazen it out with this condolence ad (right) which appeared in the local papers in Goa on Tuesday.]The death of Nadia Torrado (27) has taken centre stage here with women’s groups and political parties calling for a complete investigation into her links with Goa’s controversial Tourism Minister Micky Pacheco. Commenting on the case, Goa Chief Minister Digambar Kamat said he was waiting for the probe to come to a conclusion, before he decides on a course of action.
Nadia died on Saturday, two weeks after she made a drastic bid to end her life taking a dose of poison with anti-depressants. Her funeral which had been scheduled for 10 am on Tuesday was stopped when the police turned up at her family home in Loutolim to take possession of the body. Condemning the police action, the woman’s family said they were lodging a complaint with the Human Rights Commission. “This is nothing but a case of ministers trying to settle scores,” their lawyer Radharao Gracias said. Pacheco, whose reputation has been smeared by a string of personal and political controversies, is separated from his wife Sara who has filed several cases against him. -- DEV BOREM KORUM Gabe Menezes.
