SAVE AS DRAFT
<http://www.blogger.com/post-edit.g?blogID=66535506346487524&postID=4647257712514399639>
Flying Circus - V
You ain't seen nothin yet!

Fortunately for your tax bucks, Francisco ‘Mickky’ Pacheco, the former
Minister for Tourism blinked first in the Mexican stand-off and resigned,
but don’t pop that bubbly yet, your good cheer could end sooner than later.
Because, instinct suggests that Srikanth Halarnkar as tourism minister (as I
write this on June 15) may already have both eyes on the tourism convention
calendar and a hand on the phone. You have doubts? Then why did he say
post-induction: “I have no demands blah, blah, blah”. Plus this gem: “I will
resign my ministership if Mickky Pacheco gets back” or words to this effect.
In the double-talk of politicians, it simply, means: “Demands? Boy, I
haven’t even begun/just wait till I start making them.” Also, for the reason
that tourism ministers and officials of both the Goa Tourism Development
Corporation and Tourism Department simply can’t resist packing their bags
and taking off behind their masters on foreign junkets, like supporting
actors, in the Flying Circus. In the past, it happened each time a new
minister took charge, Mickky only took it to a new level. His reputation for
long-haul flying even gave Manohar Parrikar the opportunity to sack him as a
minister while on an expense-paid trip on 4 June 2004. Heaven help us if he
were the sports minister today. His air and World Cup tickets would have
been a waste after costing us an arm and a leg. To think, he would have
stayed the entire course of the World Cup.

On Mickky’s trail

On 09-17, 2008 November he flew Mumbai-London-Mumbai which cost Rs 2,54,489
and was paid DA of Rs 23,076. The question is, should a government perk like
DA be paid to a minister on a foreign junket when even his restaurant tips
are covered. It’s logical or rather or rather makes sense if a minister
flies off to Mumbai, but abroad, DA? Then there was his cab fare (see what I
mean?) of Rs 2,40,000 (did he hire helicopters?) and hotel expenditure of Rs
1,49,310 making it a grand total of Rs 6,66,875 of tax money squandered
away. Wasted, because what good does it do, participating in foreign tourism
conventions to sell Goa over and over again with nothing new to offer and
even less to show by way of improved tourist infrastructure. The squalor in
the Colva creek will persist, tourists will continue to balance sightseeing
with garbage sighting, and get short-changed at each transaction virtually.

Mickky gets picky

On 20-24, 2009 September he flew Mumbai-Dubai-DME (Russia)-Dubai-Mumbai,
Business Class which cost Rs 53,710, was paid DA of Rs 8,104, strangely did
not incur any cab fare but incurred a hotel expenditure of Rs 81,600. Total:
Rs 1,43,414.

Goldfinger gets brazen

Yeah, I know, I know, he doesn’t wear them nowadays, but I couldn’t resist
it. He was airborne again on 09-22 November, 2009 flying
Doha-London-Helsinki-Copenhagen-Zurich-Rome-London-Doha, Business Class,
spending Rs 1,87,621 on airfare, got paid DA of Rs 64,650, spending nothing
on cab fare and incurring a huge Rs 1,36,386 on hotels. Total: Rs 3,88,657.
All of which really, really makes the airfare of Rs 2,54,489 to London very,
very suspect, as is the equally questionable cab fare of Rs 2,40,000 and I
do know London cab fares are exorbitant. But to spend Rs 34,285.71 per day
on cabs when you are supposed to be hard selling Goa! Whatever the facts
behind these three hugely unnecessary junkets, Micky did manage to spend Rs
11,98,946 of your hard earned money. But with every new fact tumbling out on
la affaire Mickky, go figure the hows and wherefores.

Fellow rambler, Minister for Education

2008 Year of Coincidence

Like his buddies, Babush began his flying with that familiar airdash to you
know where on 22-23 September, at a cost of Rs 57,510+355, total Rs 57,865;
followed by another to Delhi on 25-26 November, Rs 51,320+355, total Rs
51,675. Why coincidence? It just happened that of the 17 flights he took,
nine took place when Vishwajeet Rane was also in Mumbai, which to the Goa
G-7, is like Davos is to the real G-8 and corporate czars. For the same
reason that on 15-21 December (cost: Rs 24,705+1,655, total 26,360) when he
flew to Mumbai, Rane was there (18-24). Still think I’m on a flight of
fancy?

2009 more happening together

He began the year with a flight to Delhi-Mumbai between 06-11 January, that
cost Rs 60,828. Rane was there too (06-09). 08-11 April, Mumbai, Rs
19,868+960, total Rs 20,828; 13-17 April, Mumbai, Rs 19,868+1,185, total Rs
21,053. Monseratte’s next five flights to Mumbai coincided with Rane being
there YET AGAIN. Rane was in Mumbai on 27 April-01 June. The flights are: 1)
27-28 April, Mumbai, Rs 22,013+520, total Rs 22,533. 2) 15-24 May,
Mumbai-Delhi-Mumbai, Rs 63,787+2,340, total Rs 66,127. 3) 19-21 May, Mumbai,
Rs 20,268+780, total Rs 21,048. 4) 22-24 May, Mumbai-Delhi-Mumbai, Rs
61,706+702, total Rs 62,408. 5) 27-28 May, Mumbai, Rs 20,268+442, total Rs
20,710. 10-13 June, Mumbai, Rs 20,268+962, total Rs 21,230; 30 June-01 July,
Mumbai, Rs 22,432+442, total Rs 22,874; 09-10 August, Mumbai, Rs 22,432+442,
total Rs 22,874. RANE WAS THERE TOO (he took a same flight) when Monseratte
flew Delhi-Mumbai on 1-16 October, Rs 65,423+743, total Rs 66,166; 23-25
October, Delhi-Mumbai, Rs 58,962+702, total Rs 59,664.

2010 Two minds with but one thought

Rane was again in Mumbai when Monseratte flew to Mumbai on 06-07 February,
Rs 23,430+442, total RS 23,872. In the end a total of Rs 6,48,115 was spent
on flying him Business Class only, mostly to Mumbai and no guesses why. It
is where Sharad Pawar and Praful Patel of the National Congress Party hatch
conspiracies against the Congress).

The Flying Club Cost so far:

Ravi Naik Rs 04,08,749

Vishwajeet Rane Rs 17,56,397