Considering that Goa has it’s own share  of these foreigners  staying back
illegally, buying properties, running businesses, indulging in crimes and
keeping even our politicians and police on their pay-roll what is our Goa
Government and police doing to send them back? Perhaps we could start with
the Atalas and the Dudus? The politican-police-drug dealer nexus is where we
could start with.

We literally are sitting on a ticking live-bomb and we know that sooner or
later Goa could be targeted by and of these criminal elements. It is
important to know who are these hidden elements who want to remain under the
radar in Goa and send them back home packing. Obviously our Goa Government
doesn’t have the will nor the resolve to do so.

The following article is from the Times of India.

US, UK citizens staying illegally pose threat too

Kartikeya, TNN, Jul 26, 2010, 01.00am IST

MUMBAI: That many Pakistanis and Bangladeshis are staying illegally in India
is known to most of us. What many might not be aware of is that there are a
number of nationals from first world countries as well who have overstayed
their welcome here, for various reasons.

The arrest and subsequent interrogation of David Headley, an American
national-turned-LeT jihadi, has put the spotlight on the grave threat to
India's national security from outsiders - over the past few years, various
police agencies have booked foreigners from more than 45 countries living
illegally in India.

Information compiled by the Union home ministry shows that in 2008, 65,149
foreign nationals were found living in India even after their visas had
expired. The same year, 13,995 foreigners had to be deported from the
country. The figures for 2009 are still being compiled.

What comes as a big surprise is that a few thousand citizens from several
first world countries like the US, UK, New Zealand, Germany and even Japan
and South Korea are living illegally in India. The list also included 479
Chinese.

"Not all of them may be as innocent as it seems. It is not enough to say
that they stayed on with friends or relatives, lost track of time exploring
India or overstayed a work permit; these are the usual excuses," said a
police officer. "Headley has redefined the meaning of India's threat
perception," said an intelligence official who spoke to TOI on condition of
anonymity.

He said that for long, citizens of friendly or developed countries were not
on the radar of security agencies. "It is because of this that terror groups
are increasingly turning to recruits from these groups to carry out their
work.

This was shown in the case of Headley in Mumbai and in America where the
failed Times Square bomb attack was carried out by their own naturalized
citizen," he explained.

Police in various states have discovered citizens of Afghanistan, Yemen and
even Iraq living illegally in India. "We are a vast country and it is easy
to disappear in the population. Human rights people say several foreigners
are here escaping persecution. In that case they must register and seek
asylum. But as long as they are in hiding, the security forces must work to
catch them and find out who they actually are and what their purpose in
India is," the intelligence official said.

There is a police mechanism in place to trace foreigners staying illegally.
All visitors are expected to register with the regional foreigners office.
Moreover, according to the Foreigners (report to the police) Order, 1971,
made under the Foreigners Act, locals are bound to report the presence of
any foreigner living in their midst to the nearest police station.

India is also now playing host to an increasing influx of tourists, with
their number going beyond five million every year.

Security officials insist that they do not want to make life more difficult
for ordinary tourists. "In any case we expect educated visitors from the
developed world to be aware of visa laws. They know they cannot overstay
without informing the authorities. We just want to be more careful about
those who are duping the system to work for terror groups or organized crime
syndicates," a police officer said.
* * *

IS YOURS one of the stories of Goans on board the S.S.
Dwarka, or at the Strait of Hormuz, Basra or Bahrain, Dubai,
Swindon, Mombasa, Poona or Rangoon? Selma Carvalho's new book
*Into the Diaspora Wilderness* docks at many other ports. Get
your copy from Broadways, Panjim [9822488564] Rs 295. P&p
extra. http://selmacarvalho.squarespace.com/