Truly as we can see Goans are day in and day out being subjected to all
sorts of injustices, violences and evils – the irony is that this is being
inflected on us Goans by our own Goa Government, politicians and Government
machinery working in tandem with destructive forces.

The common man in Goa is a t a loss today – does he turn a blind eye, given
that the ones who are are supposed to be promoting his welfare and interests
are the perpetrators of these heinous crimes or should he accept the
freebies and crumbs that comes his way if our politicians try to buy his
vote or silence? Well the fact of the matter is that Goans have reached a
stage wherein if they do not speak out before it’s too late then there will
be nothing to distinguish us from any of the states like Bihar and UP. What
an irony that within 50 years of being part of India, everything that Goa
and Goans held sacred is being threatened – in fact our very identity,
existence, values and environment.

A must read by Peter Fernandes in the Herald‏.

***************************************

*Each one of us can be a real hero, writes  Peter Fernandes*

In India, for the most part, an aura of awe surrounds Bollywood stars, as
fans admire the reel heroes  as real ones. Bollywood movies depict supermen
and superwomen, with heroic stance and spirit, ultimately victorious over
evil.  Nevertheless, the injustice in our society, corruption in our
government institution, violence on our streets, violation of human rights,
unimaginable scale of poverty,  illiteracy, and other social evils compel
people  to search for a champion to cleanse the system.  It is an enormous,
almost impossible task for one   hero to accomplish.  These movies entice us
with an unrealistic utopia, but in a way they beckon us to challenge the
status quo in society, and explore new horizons to create a better situation
in our own small way.  Everyone needs a hero in life to bring about a
positive change.  Ironically, most people seek, the hero they long for,
outside their being, not realizing that the hero lies within oneself.

 In the recent past, Goa has become the laughing stock of our Nation, and
the world at large.  With each passing day, Goa and Goans seemingly enact a
tragic scene for what could be a new Bollywood movie; and it is a movie
without a hero.  The irony of this enactment by our people is that it is
tragic to our beloved State, but comical to the rest of the world.  Even
more heartbreaking is that nobody seems capable of deciphering the evil that
has infected every strata of our society. This drama could be headed for a
perfect melancholy, unless society is ready for true introspection and the
transition back to the values that had sustained us for so long.  The change
will not come from outside, it should spring forth from within each
citizen, to cause an unrelenting movement to fight the evil which has
drained our society to its lowest ebb.  Inner reflection should lead us to
selflessness, and empty us of our greed, for greater good of the society.
Should someone ask why we have no hero, I would truthfully say I do not have
the correct answer, but intend to find one.  I thought our police force
might give us a good hero, since they are the protectors of the executive
component of democracy.  There are several instances wherein they have done
good to the state by nabbing criminals near and far.  However they are not
consistent and upright always.  More often than not, they act at the behest
of the Home Minister and other legislators, which is abysmal and disgraceful
to our democracy.  Not a single case involving “big brother” has had a
logical conclusion.  This attitude of our police force has triggered
corruption and crime to a new level, resulting in a society where justice is
unsustainable.  The victims are yearning for justice, in vain.

We elect our legislators to be that hero to purge the system of evil decay,
and bring in a positive change for peaceful and prosperous dwelling.  The
unfortunate reality is that we are unsuccessful.  With great caution, I
could identify one or two, but most are unworthy of even a salute.  Our
legislators have betrayed the people, and are the true scoundrels in this
“Live Bollywood Show.”  The latest twist to this ongoing dismal production
is the catch (not really - he handed himself over - fortunately or
unfortunately police could not nab him) of Mickey Mouse, who hid himself in
a hole for almost a month. To his disadvantage, Mickey Mouse had shown
disregard to the public ethic and moral standard of society on several
occasions.  Guilty or not, time will tell.  However, to be somewhat
sympathetic, he was caught up in the web of nasty political power
desperados.  I say this because, when other legislators or their kin were
involved in a crime, neither the police nor the political parties showed any
such interest in bringing justice to the victims.

Perhaps, we could find a hero in our NGOs.  The NGOs mushroomed to redress
the wrong in society, but evil continues to proliferate unbrokenly right
under their noses.  What can we gather from such an inference?  Does
it prove that NGOs are ineffective, and perhaps exist for their own gain?
Even if one chooses to not notice, it is obvious that NGOs become quite
visible and vocal when a big fish is caught in the net, but they brush aside
what is politically insignificant.  Like other institutions, the NGOs dance
to the politicians’ tune, to gain mileage for their own selfish interest.
Only when the NGOs truly and sincerely take up the cause of the voiceless,
without succumbing to pressure from the ruthless politicians and
lobbyists, will they have a chance to redeem themselves and be heroes for
generations to come.  At present, the NGOs are viewed with suspicion, and
rightly so, for they have their own agenda to pursue.

For a long time, the people of Goa lived as true heroes, but lost the
intuition somewhere down the line.  This is clearly reflected in the
escalation of maladies in our society today.  First and foremost, Goans
failed because we place an unconditional trust on corrupt politicians, as we
continue to vote them.  Recently, a great number of people came out to
support the beleaguered Tourism Minister; and in another instance, to
support the Home Minister, and his son.  Are we supporting truth and
justice, or blindly digging our own graves?  Are we so limited by our fears
and doubts, that we fool ourselves by taking bribes and engaging in other
illegal actions on behalf of our politicians, to live as their slaves?  We
have become so steeped in the crab mentality, which is causing a greater
downfall.  Most Goans fight among themselves over a small piece of land or
property.  Yet they allow outsiders to take advantage.  There are a few
noble souls, but as a society we live like villains.  Each one is concerned
about his/her own welfare, uncaring of their neighbours.  At one time, such
behaviour was unthinkable.  For us to witness contentment over the downfall
of our neighbour, rather than lending a helping hand, leads to our own
defeat and disgrace.  This is not “Goanness.”  In what used to be a viable
society, the hero has been lost!

 It is very unusual for a Bollywood movie to be produced without a hero.
This is why Goa’s “live Bollywood show” is distasteful.  The Bollywood
movie heroes decipher the evil intentions of the villain and impede his
scheme in time, to save society.  How can we Goans allow this “live show” to
continue without a hero who would pave the way to victory in our war against
the rogues who decimate our society?  A big question lingers!  From where
will a hero arise to transform the evil structure and its builders, which
have created an inescapable web of seduction and deception in Goa?  If we
fully appreciate our true worth and the power given to us by our Creator to
participate in building a just society, reversal and renewal is inevitable,
with His help.  Let us rid ourselves of selfishness and greed, and be
filled with honour and the courage to embrace benevolence and charity.  Know
for sure, Eternal Paradise will be our reward.  Each one of us will be a
hero!
* * *

IS YOURS one of the stories of Goans on board the S.S.
Dwarka, or at the Strait of Hormuz, Basra or Bahrain, Dubai,
Swindon, Mombasa, Poona or Rangoon? Selma Carvalho's new book
*Into the Diaspora Wilderness* docks at many other ports. Get
your copy from Broadways, Panjim [9822488564] Rs 295. P&p
extra. http://selmacarvalho.squarespace.com/