I remember my neighbour also removing distt in the fashion related by Dominic
but she also used "foddki" alum. After the whole process, the foddki was also
put in the fire. The foddki melted and took a weird shape. After watching the
shape carefully she used to proclaim "eka mottea cheddvachi nodor laglea" A fat
girl has cast her evil eyes. Sometimes it was "Eka sunneachi nodor laglea" A
dog has cast its evil eye, and we blindly believed it. But sure enough the
person would be relieved of his illness. May be it was a psychological
effect.Michael fernandes

* * *

Was life in the *kudds* glamourised? Who said, "It appears that the Goanese
(sic) are a roving people, prepared to go to any part of the world for
well-paid employment"? How did Goans find their first toehold in the Gulf? Find
your answers in Selma
Carvalho's *Into the Goan Diaspora Wilderness*. Buy from
Broadways Book Centre, Panjim [Ph +91-9822488564] Price (in
Goa only) Rs 295.  http://selmacarvalho.squarespace.com/

* * *