Drove down from Panjim, to the New 'Ravindra Bhavan' for this book-launch. It
looks as if it will be an extremely interesting read, and the talk by former
MLA Rahulrau (sp?) Gracious was super good. The point he makes about 'Colonial
history' seems to me very valid; The Region's unique character, and current
ability to play a lead role in the 'global theatre', is consequence of the
colonial past. The Colonists were here, and now they are gone---both realities
should be celebrated.

One tiny quibble. Outside of the book-launch venue there was a caterer table
with coffee and sandwichs. Being a bit peckish, after the long drive, I tried
to engage the young custodian, to find out if I might partake. He seemed
totally unable to relate to my query in English, and when my Konkani friends
intervened he seemed not to comprehend Konkani either. All we could get out of
him was a shake of the head. Caterer doing business with Ravindra Bhavan, or
functions held therein, might be well advised to take note of that.

Goa-launch of the well-received *Into The Diaspora
Wilderness* by Selma Carvalho on Aug 29, 2010 (Sunday) at 11
am at Ravindra Bhavan, Margao. Meet the author, buy a signed
copy (only Rs 295 in Goa till stock lasts).
http://selmacarvalho.squarespace.com/