Bye Bye River Princess

Any landmark, intentional or unintentional sooner or later becomes a point of
direction; our ancient navigators used stars to navigate the deep sea and
landmarks closer to the coast. Ornithology tells us that it is not just humans
that depend on landmarks for navigation but even birds use objects to identify
the surrounding or note directions.

For the next few weeks a lot of birds will be at sea or even the fish and the
snails too, with the disappearance of the "mermaid" called "MV River Princess"
off the coast of Candolim, they will surely be confused as the 12 year long
standing landmark finally vanishes for their familiar surrounding.

It took the Goa government twelve unhealthy and ecologically damaging years to
finally get rid of the massive aberration that lay half buried off the coast
of, the once scenic beach of Candolim. Over the years, rudiments and the
sediments of the decaying monster played havoc with our marine life as well as
the coast itself with its deadly toxins and its equally potent byproducts
harmful to our marine bio diversity and as well as the human skin.

Even as the ashes of the River Princess are being scattered all along the coast
of Candolim, one question still haunts Goans and all those who have been
witnesses to the apathy of our past government towards our environment, why
twelve long years for what took just a few months ?  It surely baffles all
logic and reason that our erstwhile luminaries allowed the degradation of our
already fragile environment for twelve long years, but even then, though late,
it's better than never.

There is no doubt after playing havoc with our environment, the River Princess
on it's last voyage to eternity has indeed played havoc with the tax payers
money, as it has become public funded private undertaking. Most countries
adhere to tough environment law and those flaunting these delicate laws are
taken to task with very little leeway given to stature or the financial
position of the offender but unfortunately in Goa it all depends on the stature
and the financial power of the offender.

In most countries the owner of the vessel would have been held financially
responsible for the entire operation including the clearing and the cleaning,
to reverse the quantum of damage that can be salvaged, over which a hefty fine
for negligence would have been applied, it's just amazing how our irrational
babus and our bureaucrats work in Goa, as the offender goes scot-free with the
bulge in his pockets still intact while denting our public coffers.

Any activity against the environment is a criminal activity as dangerous and as
serious as murder because all life depends on our environment and without it we
will perish and hence offenders against the environment should be dealt with
severity, only then people trying to flaunt the environment laws, will have to
think twice before playing with our environment.

Our political and bureaucratic babus should make sure that issues and cases
threatening our environment should dealt with swiftly, effectively and
efficiently to avoid reoccurrence of an accident or incident like the "MV River
Princess". I am sure the residents of Condolim will now enjoy the joy of the
sunset from their porticos instead of trying to strain their necks to look over
the half buried monster. Bye bye River Princess, you had been a sore eye for
twelve long years.

Freddy Agnelo Fernandes

The content of this electronic communication is intended solely for the use of
the
individual or entity to whom it is addressed and any others who are
specifically
information.
disclosure,
copying, distribution or otherwise placing reliance on the contents of this
information
is prohibited and may be unlawful in certain legal jurisdictions. If you have
received
this communication in error please notify the sender immediately by responding
to this
email and then delete it from your system.