Goa's Valid Claim
Team GS

Jawaharlal Nehru's speech
Former PM Jawaharlal Nehru made this speech in Bombay on June 4, 1956, five
years before Goa was liberated after 450 years of Portuguese rule. Excerpts:
"If the people of Goa, that is minus the Portuguese government - if and when
the Portuguese go and the people of Goa deliberately wish to retain their
separate identity - I am not going to bring them by force or compulsion or
coercion into the Indian Union. I merely say that my national interest involves
the removal of the Portuguese from Goa, not coercion being used in bringing
about the union of Goa with India, although I wish it, I desire it and it is
the only solution. That is a matter ultimately for the people of Goa to decide.
 I want to make it perfectly clear that I have no desire to coerce Goa to join
India against the wishes of the people of Goa. But the point is that we feel
that Goa's individuality should remain and that whenever the time comes for any
changes, internal or other, it will be for the people of Goa acting freely to
decide upon them".

When he came to visit Goa in 1963, Nehru reiterated his earlier promise to
preserve, protect and nurture this unique culture and identity of Goa.

Goa's Valid Claim

Jammu and Kashmir and North eastern states have been conferred Special Status
on the basis of difficult terrain, because they are border states or because
their majority population is tribal. Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand, Orissa, and
Puducherry, even Rajasthan and now, Bihar have joined the me-too chorus. Most
of these states demand Special Status because they are backward and the
sub-text to this is that they want the central government to fork out more
money. But Goa has made it clear it wants no financial input and that it should
be given Special Status only so it can preserve its heritage. Is that too much
to ask?

Why Goa deserves Special Status

a) The Customary law and procedure, its language, culture and ethos.

b) Ownership and transfer of land and the exploitation of its resources and the
preservation of its natural and architectural heritage.

c) The regulation of entry and settlement of persons who are not of Goan
origin/migrants.

d) Establishment of industries and employment therein.

e) Protection of age-old traditional institutions such as Gaumkaris
(Comunidades-village communities) and their assets.

f) Protection of the original SCs, STs and Gounli (Dhangars) belonging to the
state.

Benefits of Special Status

1) Will reduce in-migration so that Goa's resources like land, water can be
better managed and distributed.

2) Will create conditions where Goa's unique culture and identity will thrive
and grow.

3) Will lower prices and better the quality of life of Goans as the clamour for
homes, schools, roads, hospitals from non Goans will come down.

4) Will reduce crime, which has gone up because of migration.

5) Romi Konkani will thrive.

http://www.goanspirit.com/index.php/lead/246-goa-s-valid-claim

~Avelino