inhabitants
Author: Ramesh Babu
Publication: Hindustan Times
Date: October 21, 2013

Palaniappan, who belongs to a farming family, is a worried man today. He
fears his means of livelihood will be threatened because his village,
Vattavada, in high-range Idukki district, is within the ecologically fragile
area identified by two expert committees on the Western Ghats.

Vattavada is known as the vegetable market of Kerala because it produces a
variety of vegetables and fruit not seen in other parts of the state.

Naturally Palaniappan is in the forefront of the agitation against a panel's
report that has identified 37% of the Western Ghats, or 60,000 sq km of the
green belt that runs across six states (Gujarat, Maharashtra, Goa,
Karnataka, Kerala and Tamil Nadu), as ecologically sensitive.

Though the policy advocates keeping mining, quarrying, thermal power plants
or any polluting unit out of the area, farmers such as Palaniappan fear that
anything based on this will usurp their land and habitat. "They have to
shoot us before acquiring our land," he says, in anger.

Two of most affected districts in the state - Idukki and Wayanad - observed
a shutdown on Friday and a worried chief minister Oommen Chandy has called
an all-party meet on Monday.

The hills are on fire since the Union environment ministry decided to accept
the major recommendations of the two committees, one headed by ecologist
Madhav Gadgil and the other by K Kasturirangan, former chief of the Indian
Space Research Organisation (Isro). The decision, once notified, will make
the identified region of the mountain ranges the largest protected forest in
India, ranging from the Tapti river in west-central India to Kanyakumari in
deep south. If implemented in letter and spirit, Kerala will be the most
affected state. The means of livelihood of around one million people living
on the periphery of the Ghat region will be threatened.

Following a widespread uproar that the environment and ecology of the
Western Ghats, a world heritage site identified by Unesco, is under serious
threat due to human interference, the government had set up an expert panel
under Gadgil two years ago. When all six states coming under the shadow of
the Ghats opposed the Gadgil panel recommendations tooth and nail, a working
group was constituted under Kasturirangan. A mellowed one, the latter made
some changes in the zonal classification and reduced the fragile area to 37%
from the 63% recommended by Gadgil, who had opposed these changes, saying
any dilution may harm the extremely fragile Ghats, which could ill afford
even minor human interference.

"The Kasturirangan panel recommendation will affect at least 125 villages in
the state. Though we fully support preservation it should be done with a
humane touch," said Chandy, adding that the state should be taken into
confidence before implementing these recommendations.

Irrespective of colour or ideology almost all parties are up in arms against
the panel's recommendations. And the affected parties are planning to float
an action council comprising people from six states.

The church is also upset. Most of the ecologically fragile areas come under
the Christian belt. "Ecological emergency has to be met but with reasonable
practicality. The church is committed to ecology, which is a moral problem
threatening our future. But at the same time we have to consider the plight
of poor farmers who are settled there for many years," said Syro-Malabar
church spokesman Father Paul Thelakat.

"We wanted the populated areas not to be declared Ecologically Sensitive
Areas for reasons which the farmers as well the political parties in Idukki
and Wayanad districts are speaking of."