Hi Iwase - My responses are inline...

-----Original Message-----
From: Iwase Yusuke [mailto:iwase.yusu...@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, February 9, 2018 1:54 AM
To: SHAIKH, AMAN (AMAN) <asha...@research.att.com>
Cc: gobgp-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [GoBGP-devel] MPLS label issue with VPNv4 routes

Hi Aman,

 > When you say, the patch is not enough for MPLS VPN, can you elaborate on
 > what  > exactly the patch lacks at the moment?

I don't yet understand enough about the mechanism of FRRouting/Zebra, I can't
say exactly, but I this for the MPLS VPN, we need; 1. MPLS label allocation
synchronously or cooperatively with Zebra

--> Correct. I believe your current patch addresses this, and it's huge step
forward (just on its own) for GoBGP to support MPLS L3-VPNs.

2. Be aware of VRF creation on Zebra; Might be optional, because we can specify
    VRF ID when creating VRF on GoBGP.

--> It would be nice to GoBGP to be in sync with FRR/Zebra for VRFs, but it's
not necessary (at least for me) to use GoBGP for MPLS VPN as long as I use the
correct VRF ID while creating a VRF through gobgp CLI.

Having said that, it would be nice if GoBGP can determine the VRF-ID from
FRR/Zebra based on the VRF name. Assuming FRR/Zebra provides such a capability,
this will not only eliminate possible error in terms of specifying the VRF ID,
but will also allow GoBGP to ensure that the CLI-specified VRF (i.e, its name)
is actually configured in Linux kernel and is known to FRR/Zebra.

3. Ingress/egress route (with MPLS label) advertisement to Zebra (Or more, if
I'm misunderstanding) My patch addresses only 1, and I say "not enough".

--> I plan to provide you exactly what routes I expect to see and what's
missing from GoBGP. Plan to work on this today.

 > Nonetheless, It would be nice if you submit a pull request for your patch  >
 > which solves a critical problem. If it gets accepted and becomes part of the
 >  > master branch, it would make it easier for people to use GoBGP for VPN.

It's exactly as you said, if the following patch will pass CI tests, I will
post it as PR.
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__github.com_iwaseyusuke_gobgp_compare_master...iwaseyusuke-3Azclient-2DEnable-5Fto-5Frequest-5FMPLS-5Flabel-5Frange&d=DwIDaQ&c=LFYZ-o9_HUMeMTSQicvjIg&r=I_2UmL83HQfOEoCVzChS_fiJdy8vxHF4_JM0AhcKK4Y&m=yIOuRVSMFFY0HP6LuNC4In7GquoTY7IQlqVvMl8ycZo&s=jmsZ57flCVQT16_D2UaGFljDGo31B6DHpZb98Y73Sss&e=

--> That sounds awesome. Looking forward to getting this patch become part of
the master branch ...

thx,
aman