On Tue, Jul 12, 2016 at 9:19 AM, Rayland <guianul...@gmail.com> wrote:
> When does it make sense for a package to be named in plural? For example,
> I'm currently working on a MVC framework and for me it makes sense to have a
> "controller" package as opposed to "controllers", but I saw that Beego
> prefers plural for the same case.

Generally speaking, try to consider how your users will write things
that use your package and not what's actually in it. For instance,
which makes the better API:

    controller.New()

or:

    controllers.NewController()

The second is redundant, so I'd argue that the first one will look
better in your users code. However, given the example:

    byte.Split(b []byte)

vs.

    bytes.Split(b []byte)

the second may be more expected because you're operating on a collection.

Of course, both of these are just my opinion, but it's just to
illustrate how I generally think about picking a name. Instead of
"what will my code in the package look like" think "what will my users
write using this package?"

—Sam