> @all, thanks for the explanation!

in my view, all the "details" come from reasoning about Go through the
sieve of other programming languages. nothing wrong in doing that, as
long as the original intention is understood. for me, Go will always
be looked through the sieve of C, in particular the kind of C the
authors wrote for Plan 9. even though some of the decisions may have
looked strange to me at one point or another, summarily Go is much
more complete.

the standard library implementation on the other hand should be looked
through the sieve of Go and Go alone. and perhaps the go1
compatibility guarantee :)