On Sun, Jul 17, 2016 at 6:05 PM, Scott Cotton <w...@iri-labs.com> wrote:

> I'm looking for information/pointers for making the scheduling and
> select {} choices determinisable for an application domain in which
> non-determinism in scheduling/select causes problems.

Out of curiosity, what is that domain?

The reason I'm asking is that the non-deterministic select is put into
place in order to prevent starvation and also to prevent programmers on
relying on a specific order. The hope is that a concurrency error will
uncover itself while the system is running because the odd schedule is
likely to occur if at all possible.

Also, in most concurrency systems, you have the opposite situation: the
system has determinism. The lamented sigh here is that you often want some
kind of fairness among processes to make sure you avoid starvation.

There may be good subtle reasons for your domain, which is why I'm asking
what the problem is.

--
J.