On Saturday, August 13, 2016 at 8:06:44 PM UTC+2, Klaus Post wrote:

> On Saturday, 13 August 2016 17:18:16 UTC+2, Paul wrote:
>>
>> From what I gather even Adobe uses [dcraw].
>>

> I am pretty sure it is the other way around. Observing for years, it seems
> like dc is reverse engineering the Adobe DNG Converter. His color
> conversion matrices are definitely from that, and his support mostly
> follows a DNG converter release.

I could'nt remember where I read it, but it actually says so in the adobe
forum Quote:
"ACR contains some stuff from dcraw, and dcraw contains some stuff from
ACR."

> It should be possible to reference his code base in C and rewrite it in
>> Go,  I think.
>>

> Have you read dcraw.c? I have spent hours "reverse-engineering" what his
> code does. It is a spagetti of jumps, hoops, global variables, secret
> values, weird dependencies, etc.
>
> /Klaus

Well apart from the 'code quality', his code does seem to be of interest to
quite a few software developers in the graphics business,  including
yourself as you write.  Adobe would have their own special reasons for
using some of his stuff.

I was not even aware of Rawspeed. I do use Darktable, however there is
quite some discussion going on as to the quality of the images that
opensource raw converters produce. Adobe seems to still be king of that
hill. Or poprietary Converters such as Capture Nx2 which very unfortunately
has been discontinued.