On Sat, Aug 27, 2016 at 8:26 PM, T L <tapir....@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sunday, August 28, 2016 at 11:00:53 AM UTC+8, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Aug 27, 2016 at 12:41 AM, T L <tapi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > I don't think an int64 value can be converted to an int value is for
>> > they
>> > have the same underlying type.
>> > In fact, an int8 value can also be converted to an int value.
>> > "Number values can be converted to values of other number types" is
>> > totally
>> > an exception for the conversion rule.
>> > This has nothing related to the underlying types.
>>
>> I'm sorry, I don't understand the point you are making.
>>
>> Ian
>

> isn't the basic conversion rule is two values with a same underlying type
> can be converted to each other' type?

Yes, if by "same underlying type" you mean "identical underlying type".

In the original question of why you can't convert []Age to []int,
[]Age and []int are not identical underlying types.

> (another basic conversion rule is, if T implements interface I, the values
> of T can be converted to values of I)

Yes, that is true.

> The underlying types of different numeric types are different.
> Golang just makes an exception/convenience to make it is possible to convert
> the values of these types to any of these types.
>
> And there is another exception, integer values can be converted to string,
> this is one-direction conversion.

Yes, there are two different kinds of conversions: ones that do not
change the value, and ones that change the value.  It is perhaps
unfortunate that they use the same syntax.

I asked a question earlier, but I don't think you ever answered it.
It's an important question.  The question is: what kind of answer
would you find satisfactory?

Right now you seem to repeat the question in different ways, and none
of the answers seem to get anywhere.  So I feel that we need to step
back and understand what kind of answer you are looking for.

Ian