On Fri, Sep 16, 2016 at 9:02 AM,  <oyi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have not been able to find an explanation. Does anyone care to explain or
> point to relevant documentation?

Slices are not strings.  I think that a + b has an intuitively clear
value when a and b are strings.  I do not think it does when a and b
are slices.  You would presumably suggest that it means the same as
append(a, b...) but I think it could also mean
    c := make(elementof(a), len(a))
    for i, v := range a {
        c[i] = v + b[i]
    }

Given the lack of clear meaning for addition of slices, the language
omits it.  Instead, it provides append and loops.

Ian