Dave,

Thank you for the tip. That does at least show me some measurements of
allocations. I guess I was hoping to do some more fine-grained analysis, if
only as an educational exercise.

So, I tried using the runtime/pprof package to write a heap profile at a
specific point in my program and still got some less than informative
results. I'm wondering if this means my program is triggering GC at a point
where I'm not expecting it, which is preventing capture of a good profile.