Please can someone can enlighten me or point me towards relevant docs/other
regarding the design decisions behind time.Time?

Specifically why the concept of an instant in time, referenced many times
throughout the time docs, was not encoded as a type itself:

type Instant struct {
    sec int64
    nsec int32
}

and time.Time then reference time.Instant in some way:

type Time struct {
    instant Instant
    loc *Location
}

The obvious difference being that an instant in time has no location. If
I'm only interested in instants in time (i.e. my code doesn't do anything
presentational) then the location is redundant.

Many thanks