I've searched the mlist archive and have learned that I should
avoid daemonize as much as possible. So instead of label my program as a
daemon (or singleton or anything), let me describe what I need to do.

I need the program (say, named as`myprog`) to fork into the background (if
possible) with the "start" command-line option. What's important is that
when `myprog` is called with other command-line options, it will *communicate
with the running background process*.

To make it very simple, myprog will keep an internal counter that increases
every second,

- when  `myprog status` is called, the internal counter's value is printed.
- when  `myprog restart` is called, the internal counter's value is reset
to zero.
- when  `myprog stop` is called, the background process is terminated.

What's the simplest way to write such simple program in Go?

Thanks