Hi All,

I'm playing around with implementing a wait-free channel in the runtime
package, and as part of this, it'd be really nice to have double-word
compare-and-swap (CAS). Barring that, however, for my purposes, it would
actually be fine to have a one-word value that encodes both a pointer and
some extra information using bit packing. The problem, though, is that if I
store this value as, for example, a uintptr, the GC may not realize that
it's a pointer. So my question is: are there any bits in a pointer which,
when modified, won't mess with the GC? Note that since this is implemented
in the runtime, I'm totally OK with relying on behavior specific to the
current GC implementation.

Thanks!
Cheers,
Josh