The problem isn't the CoC or that the group it responded to a complaint but
that it right away started with a very aggressive warning email.

Why not talk to Aram like human being explaining the situation. This would
have given him a chance to resolve it on his own.
Seems like a much simpler and more dignified way of fixing it than
escalating to an officially stamped letter.