>  How would I swap out a http.Client that is required by a third-party
library with a another that supports, say retries with exponential back-off?
I'd suggest looking at http.Transport and http.RoundTripper [
https://golang.org/pkg/net/http/#RoundTripper]. The docs explicitly forbid
using RoundTripper to implement higher level protocol features like
retry-with-backoff based on HTTP response codes, but those are your only
hooks into making this a feature of the client rather than moving the retry
logic somewhere else.