Hello Betsy
There is no "passing optional arguments by name" in go.

This link [1] has an overview what what can or can't be done for optional
params :
- the *Functional options* technique.
- or you may define a struct as parameter, then call it with only the
fields you're interested in : [2]
This implies that "the zero values must be meaningful (i.e. acceptable in
your context : nil, 0, etc.)"

  things := Things{amount: 13}
  show(things)

[1] http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2032149/optional-parameters