I am truly sorry for resurrecting this old thread but I found my self
needing to emit xml containing:

<a id="an_id" another_attr="some_value" />

today and I am unsure how to deal with it.

I have to do it for legacy reasons and there is very little leeway in what
the clients can accept.
It is also high volumes and no files are generated so post processing using
files is not really an option.

Any ideas how to do this? Is it perhaps solved since this time but the xml
has so little use that it's not even googlable?

Thx,