Basically, to most of your disagreements: I'm wildly guessing, trying to
make sense of the information I do have :) Just one specific answer:

On Sat, Feb 4, 2017 at 11:05 PM, Matt Harden <matt.har...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Wait, I don't think you've explained why expvar.Float would be aligned
> even if embedded in another struct. I don't think that's guaranteed. The
> size and alignment guarantees in the spec only make guarantees about
> variables, not struct fields (even if they are themselves structs).

My first point: I agree with you about the spec. I'm citing the
documentation for sync/atomic, which appears to make a stronger guarantee
than the spec. Most of my other points are derived from that. But I do
agree, that it's a liberal reading. Basically, I'm trying to *somehow*
derive something useful about fields from somewhere.