What were you expecting to happen?

The documentation says:

       Both  pattern and replacement must be valid Go expressions. In the
pat‐
       tern, single-character lowercase identifiers serve as wildcards
 match‐
       ing  arbitrary  sub-expressions;  those expressions will be
substituted
       for the same identifiers in the replacement.

So if 'h' had shown up in the replacement, it would get replaced with the
original identifier - but it did not appear, instead H did.

It *looks* like you were expecting it to change the "hello, world\n" to
"Hello, world\n"? But gofmt's -r requires that both pattern and replacement
be valid Go expressions.

This:
gofmt -r "\"hello, world\\n\" -> \"Hello, world\\n\""

Has the effect I think you might have been going for. I'm not certain what
you were intending though, so I'm not sure of that.